Which road bike?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by lemmy, 9 Apr 2010.

1. lemmy

lemmy New Member

Hi all,
    First post here.
    I'm a London commuter, using a Brompton to go partly by train at the moment. After about a year of doing that I'm ready to cycle all the way in to work now (at least on some days) - it's not all that far, about 7 miles, but as you might know cycling in central London is not always the best fun.
    I'm also interested in going on some runs with my local cycle club.

I have a Trek hybrid at the moment but am looking to replace it with a road bike, as I would prefer a lighter bike and dropped handlebar riding position.

I'm wondering whether to go for a modern road bike - something like the Genesis aether10 is roughly in my price range, or go the ebay route and get a bike with Reynolds 531 frame or similar, and maybe spend some money on doing it up.

Lifting bikes like the Genesis in a shop, it seems really light (alu frame). Would a steel framed bike be significantly heavier?

I'm looking for something quite flexible, as it would be for commuting / modest touring, but I also like pushing on and going fast so I'm looking for something nippy.

Thanks for any pointers!

2. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

I think the Genesis Croix De Fer looks the business for an all weather commuter.
    Light steel frame, disc brakes, enough clearance for mudguards.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cross/croix-de-fer/croix-de-fer/overview/

BTW - welcome to the forum. :sad:

3. OP
    OP
    lemmy

lemmy New Member

Thanks!
    Maybe I overstated the commuting bit. If it's bad weather I will probably go with the Brompton. So it doesn't have to be a cyclo-cross type.
    Nice looking bike though, but also more than I wanted to spend.

I've been looking at some nice looking 531 frame bikes online and I like that look. Just wondered if I will be losing out in terms of performance by going that way instead of getting a new aluminium / cromoly / whatever-they-use-thesedays bike.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice