Which size of tyre would you go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
So you don't think even being able to fix a puncture or do basic repairs to get you home if something goes wrong isn't a little irresponsible? Catch a puncture in the middle of nowhere? Walk for miles just to get to some kind of landmark so you can get picked up? Er, no.

We're not talking brain surgery here y'know...

I agree with the Brain Surgery bit.

However, if someone doesn't want to learn how to fix a puncture then that's their call and it's up to them to suffer the consequences.

Without being rude you are coming across as over-fixated in a 'dog with bone' manner on this thread.

Maybe you should move on and crack on with something more productive. :smile:

outlash

also available in orange
Awwww, you can't have any fun round here :sad:.....

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You don't think it's a bit rich asking about tyre sizes when he can't even be bothered to put them on himself?

The OP has plenty to say on other subjects yet when it comes to answering a simple question about his own apparent complete lack of maintenance skills he clams up. TBH if you can't or won't deal with even the most basic of problems on your bike, it doesn't make you much of a bike rider in my book.

I have plenty to say on other subjects because that's the idea of a forum in case you didn't know. You post your opinions and thoughts about subjects/threads,that's how it works.. What has how i do or don't maintain my bike myself got to do with how i ride it? Does Chris Froome mend his own punctures? Does Lewis Hamilton change the oil on his F1 car?

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange
I have plenty to say on other subjects because that's the idea of a forum in case you didn't know. You post your opinions and thoughts about subjects/threads,that's how it works.. What has how i do or don't maintain my bike myself got to do with how i ride it? Does Chris Froome mend his own punctures? Does Lewis Hamilton change the oil on his F1 car?

You're hilarious. You ignore me until a couple of people get on my case and then you jump in. It's your responsibility to know how to maintain your bike so it's in a roadworthy condition. Showing a complete disregard to even sorting out a puncture says to me you don't care much about your own safety and ignorant about the people you share the road with. God forbid you have a problem and some poor soul runs you down.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You're hilarious. You ignore me until a couple of people get on my case and then you jump in. It's your responsibility to know how to maintain your bike so it's in a roadworthy condition. Showing a complete disregard to even sorting out a puncture says to me you don't care much about your own safety and ignorant about the people you share the road with. God forbid you have a problem and some poor soul runs you down.

I ignored you because you thought you were being clever keep going on about me not fixing punctures, Let's see what "simple things" can't you do in life? I bet there's quite a few..
By the way. What problem would cause someone to run me down? Oh look there's someone with a flat tyre, let's run him down(!):rolleyes:

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange
I wasn't being clever, I asked you a simple question which you ignored. If you can't see what I'm pointing out then perhaps you might need someone to help you. I wouldn't ask your LBS though, they've already taken enough money out of your pocket ;).

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I wasn't being clever, I asked you a simple question which you ignored. If you can't see what I'm pointing out then perhaps you might need someone to help you. I wouldn't ask your LBS though, they've already taken enough money out of your pocket ;).

I'm just not that good at changing punctures. No matter how i try i get bits of the inner tube sticking out. I used to replace and mend inner tubes on my old mountain bike with ease, but 23, 25 and 28mm tubes and tyres no chance! My LBS is a run down shop with bikes that've been in there for sale for years He makes ends meet but that's about it. I like to help keep him going as he does a good job on repairs and is very cheap. He's fitting a bottom bracket for me tomorrow. 28 quid for the part and labour. That's not a bad price is it? Aw please don't tell me i should be fitting it myself!:whistle: ;)

outlash

also available in orange
Practice makes perfect and believe me, I've had plenty of practice... Fair enough a BB (although I've done a few of my own, not that tricky really) but IMO it's essential you know and carry the basics if you're clocking up the miles. FWIW, the driving test has a practical section where you have to know where things like the oil filler cap is and so on.

bpsmith

Veteran
Knowing where the oil filler cap on a car is, equates to knowing where the valve on a bike tyre is. It doesn't extend to repairing an oil leak. If @Accy cyclist wants to get their punctures repaired at the LBS then it's no different to having the oil changing at their local garage.

Punctures repairing is a good skill to have, but if it ends up in frustration then paying someone to do it has its merits too @outlash?

Top Bottom