Which trail running shoe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Large

Duty idiot
Hi folks - ol' dimwit is back again wanting some advice on running shoes.

In a moment of madness I have decided to enter WAR obstacle challenge in 2015 and so I need a good, robust trail shoe that will offer support to my big initial weight and weak ankles. I'm going to buy in the next few weeks so they are well-worn come the time of reckoning next April.

I read a lot about over pronation and under pronation, but I'm still none the wiser. Put simply, the lateral side of my shoes wear more than the medial, particularly on the heel, and my heel strikes a lot earlier than the ball of my foot.

Hopefully some of you here can let me know from the descroption above if I'm an under-pronator, or (as I suspect) and over-pronator.

Many thanks

Jason

vickster

Legendary Member
Perhaps go and buy from a proper running shop that does gait analysis etc and they will advise on shoes, orthotics, running style etc

Ian A

Über Member
Second what crackle said about terrain and I would definitely go to a good running shop for advice. If you are a heel first heavy landing runner you might want to look at gait. This style of running stopped me from running regularly or long distances without pain in shins and quads. I effectively started again, building up slowly with lightly padded shoes which wouldn't let me run in that way (it hurt too much) and now I can run as much as my time/fitness will allow. My experience is obviously unique to me and there are professionals who can advise much better than I can.

Trail shoes are ideal for the type of terrain you are doing. I've done the winter and summer versions of Tough Guy and trail shoes were best and performed great on the very steep and muddy and up and downhill slalom section. I tried XC shoes once but they not good for the wood framed obstacles. I had a pair of Adidas trail shoes for a few years and replaced with Brooks last autumn.

OP
OP
Large

Large

Duty idiot
Trail shoes don't generally have pronation correction because of the varied terrain you run on

Thanks. I was wondering why there was no correcton when I was looking at the different shoes last night.

Vickster - thanks for the link to up and running MK. Might pop in to see them soon.

Thanks to all who replied. In the meantime it's my trusty Stairmaster Spinnaker 3000CE for the next few days until I have enough wedge to buy two pairs of running shoes.

Venod

Eh up
These are the best trail shoes I have used you can get a gortex or non gortex version, I got both my pairs cheaper than the link ad from eBay.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salomon-Ult...qid=1399545683&sr=1-30&keywords=salomon+shoes

brand

When living in Manchester used to do some fell running. Not sure these are best for you but might want to consider them. The sole is equivalent to mountain bike tyres and made of sticky rubber. The uppers are canvas. The soles ware out very quickly if used on roads. The manufactures do resole them though. No real support though. Never had a problem with them even though I have reduced movement in right knee and ankle. Mind I never really have had much of a problem anyway!
Surely the way to strengthen your supposedly weak ankles is to train without support. If you really do need support then strapping ankle up for the race is the way to go.
"Put simply, the lateral side of my shoes wear more than the medial, particularly on the heel,"
You are describe everything single pair of shoes and trainers I have ever had. And everyone wares there heels out first. That is why Wilko etc sell heel repair kits.

"and my heel strikes a lot earlier than the ball of my foot."
Everyone's heel strikes first it is impossible to run any other way. I think that many people are being conned by trainer companies.
I used to run cross country the winner evey time was a bloke in our team. He had the weirdest gait you will ever see, his legs flicked out to one side with every step looked weird. No problems and he used top of the range.....plimsolls?

Last edited:

Ian A

Über Member
"and my heel strikes a lot earlier than the ball of my foot."
Everyone's heel strikes first it is impossible to run any other way.?

There's landing heavily on the heel jarring the legs and there's the heel landing with the rest of your foot as it passes under you with a million different variations in between. I can't run like this but here's David Rudisha not really wearing out the heels of his trainers.

Another video of Kenyan runners with efficient technique.

These are obviously extreme examples from top level athletes and most runners don't move like this!

Top Bottom