Who is training for first Triathlon in 2012?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
007fair

007fair

Is 8 weeks silly to train for a first tri if you run a bit (but have never competed) and have never swum in an organised way?

On the upside it's a pretty easy one 500m sea swim, 11m on the bike (I commute that way sometimes cos it's pretty :tongue:) and a 3m run

On the downside I haven't been that wet for a great while......
If you are confident about the swim section (sea water, dark, people hitting you etc)then whats to loose?

david1701

If you are confident about the swim section (sea water, dark, people hitting you etc)then whats to loose?

I'm confident with being in the sea, not really sure about the rest of the swimming thing will ask around tomorrow on the club run.

How do you guys handle transitions? A trisuit looks like overkill for the distance (and a little like a borat thong) so do you swim in trunks then grab running shorts and a t shirt to ride/run in swapping shoes over?

I guess a wetsuit is unnecessarily slow for a July swim in the Atlantic....

teletext45

I'm training for a local triathlon in my local town. 400m swim, 20k cycle and a 5k run. I've just bought some running shoes and tri shorts....... kinda forgot how to swim...... been 12 years lol.
Well i'm just going to do it for myself and see how i do!

Mrbez

Thanks.

So do I need to wear some shorts under my wetsuit?

Also, any other ideas on where I could get a wetsuit for the event? Hire is around £55 and I'd rather not spend that amount if possible?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Thanks.

So do I need to wear some shorts under my wetsuit?

Also, any other ideas on where I could get a wetsuit for the event? Hire is around £55 and I'd rather not spend that amount if possible?
Hiring is cheaper than buying. If you need a wetsuit it's safe to assume that the swim is open water. Use the time before the tri to find what works for you.

ie: speedos and then put running shorts + top on in T1
2 piece tri-suit
1 piece tri-suit

The latter two you would wear for the whole event obviously,and will be much faster and easier than trying to put layers on over wet skin.

Check particular rules but usually torso must remain covered and absolutely no nudity in transition.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Done a 30k bike ride followed straight away with a 5k run just need to swim now

VamP

Banned
I have signed up to my first triathlon in June, the Blenheim.

750m swim, 20km cycle and 5km run.

Not too challenging I don't think, and it should be good for my first time?

I will be fine with the cycle and the run, but any advice for the swim?

I would consider myself a strong swimmer, but how can I improve my stamina in the water?

I will likely see you there. Always dismissed the notion of doing a tri on account of being unable to swim. Now I am nursing a hamstring tendon injury, so can't run or cycle, but the local parish has asked me to step into their relay team - for the swim leg!

I figured pushing outside my comfort zone can't be a bad thing, so I am now training up :smile: With 5 weeks to go, I figure any gains I am going to make will be primarily in technique, so that's going to be my focus. Learning to breathe properly would be a good start.

Wet suit now ordered, definitely want to get as much open water practice as possible. Looking into getting some technique coaching as well.

Last night jumped in a pool with swimming intent (as opposed to horsing around with the kids intent) for the first time in 20 years. Did the 750m in one piece to see if completing it would present problems. Around 17m 30s. Not great but at least I should not let the team down. Now let's see if I can improve on that in the next 5 weeks :scratch:

If this works out like I hope it might, I will look at doing some full tri's later on in the year, once the hamstring has settled.

Martinm

Regular
So I've signed up for the Wilmslow triathlon in May, but I have 2 really silly questions that I just can't seem to find the answers to...

1) Its a pool swim of 400m in a 25m pool - am I expected to count the lengths accurately or will someone tell me when I'm done?

2) The entry fee includes being provided with a timing chip; but I've seen timing chip holders on sale - the organisers don't mention anything about needing one (whereas they do mention race belts), so do I need a timing chip holder?

From the instructions I've received for my first Tri in Cornwall (Sunday 13th May is coming around REALLY quickly :eek:), also pool swim, there are people counting at the poolside there but you are responsible for knowing how many laps/lengths you've done. They also say when there are two lengths to go the counter will put a pool float in the water as an indicator.

The timing chip should come with a velcro strap or other way of fastening but I'll be taking some gaffer tape just in case :thumbsup:

Hope this helps and good luck

Martin

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Ive always thought about doing a Tri at some point, preferably once im in better shape. Ive been cycling very regularly for approaching 2 years, but actually got into the fitness stuff with running 3 years ago so thats not such an obstacle and i used to swim 3-4 times a week until i gave it up at 14, not sure if thatll count for much other than water confidence. I get bored of running and focus cycling, then get sick of enforced cycling and switch focus back to running, so i think i might suit Tri/Duathlon training.

I guess most tri competitors are fairly serious and fit? not like running competitions where you get lots of sponsored slowbies who dont run and didnt train properly, and casual joggers. Typically I cycle 30-60km as a fitness ride, usually only run 5-10km but have done half marathon distance a few times (1:50-2hr ish) and one 17 miler. Im currently floating around 19stone, so expect to get better as that drops off. Id quite like to see a results listing to see how fast the slower competitors are in dua/tri.

The other thing is how much kit is required, I read someone saying about indoor swims ie. no wetsuit, and is everyone in lycra on road bikes?

Top Bottom