Who on here rides motorcycles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I have a Yamaha XJR1200, a Honda 650 Dominator, a Yamaha Majesty 250 scooter but I usually prefer to ride this, a Vespa 1962 Gran Lusso.

or8.jpg

or2.jpg

brockers

Ancient CBR600F2. Bombproof, fast, still great handling, surprisingly cheap to run, and spares are plentiful on eBay. I spent 8 years as a sometimes screw-loose despatch rider in London (back when you could actually earn a living from it), so am accustomed to keeping ancient bikes on the road with gaffer tape, zip-ties, and occasional thumps with a mallet. I rarely go above 85 on it though, and as I no longer really consider myself a 'biker', I've been considering exchanging it for a vintage Vespa like MarkF's wee thing of beauty.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
brockers said:
Ancient CBR600F2. Bombproof, fast, still great handling, surprisingly cheap to run, and spares are plentiful on eBay. I spent 8 years as a sometimes screw-loose despatch rider in London (back when you could actually earn a living from it), so am accustomed to keeping ancient bikes on the road with gaffer tape, zip-ties, and occasional thumps with a mallet. I rarely go above 85 on it though, and as I no longer really consider myself a 'biker', I've been considering exchanging it for a vintage Vespa like MarkF's wee thing of beauty.
I did a bit back in the seventies, just for a short time between jobs. I take it there are too many at it now to get enough work?

brockers

I think any courier from any period would always tell you that his particular 'circuit was flooded', i.e., there wasn't enough work for everybody. The problem is now is that rates have barely increased in twenty years (with overheads appreciating by 300%), and the industry has effectively been taken over by young Brazilians on dubious student visas. Many couriers now would be lucky to gross £400 a week. Subtract, ooh 30% in running costs, and you're left with just over £250 for a 50-55 hour week. Take off the weekly monthly parking ticket, virtually unavoidable speed/bus-lane camera, and having to 'run' for the jobs (meaning tons of dead mileage) and it makes no financial sense any more. Compare this with twenty plus years ago when it was relatively easy to clear £5-£600 pounds a week, if you didn't upset the controller too much.

Stop me if I'm boring you btw.

markg0vbr

Über Member
the lads that follow me on the twisty bits think i have a extra cylinder tucked under the seat, proper road Tye's + straight through pipes + removed catalytic converter + correct settings on the engine fuel management plug = as much grunt as the 1200gs, better handling, more responsive bike. you don't look like a Charley and McGregor wont to be..... and its about 3k cheaper shshsh is a secret

doodles

one of mine.... CBR600 trackbike
also have a ZX10R for the road and a 1965 BSA Bantam that I am in the process of restoring!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Norm said:
Definitely +1 to that. Some Buells they punted out didn't meet European C&R regs. Manchester HD?
Bauer Millet on Deansgate. They shut down and started doing American cars for a while and I think they have dissapeared up their own trades entrance now.

I had to go down to Chapel Ash in the Midlands to get the bike properly fixed before I could sell it.:smile:

Chrisc

Guru
markg0vbr said:
the lads that follow me on the twisty bits think i have a extra cylinder tucked under the seat, proper road Tye's + straight through pipes + removed catalytic converter + correct settings on the engine fuel management plug = as much grunt as the 1200gs, better handling, more responsive bike. you don't look like a Charley and McGregor wont to be..... and its about 3k cheaper shshsh is a secret
Intrestin. Mine's running like a dog at the mo. New coils on the way...
BTW I put conti road attack tyres on , bloody awful handling. Going in the bin soon.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Chrisc said:
Intrestin. Mine's running like a dog at the mo. New coils on the way...
BTW I put conti road attack tyres on , bloody awful handling. Going in the bin soon.
Interesting, they are the last set of tyres I bought for a bike (GSX750) and they were fantastic. Just shows how sensitive bikes can be with specific brands.

Chrisc

Guru
Smokin Joe said:
Interesting, they are the last set of tyres I bought for a bike (GSX750) and they were fantastic. Just shows how sensitive bikes can be with specific brands.
Yep. I rode an R1200 with 'em on and fantastic! They were great on mine at first but as soon as they started to wear the front went haywire. Feels like riding on ice and is wearing very oddly. Shame cos the rear has only just got rid of the road attack text in the tread but the front is shot!

stevo

Proto said:
Come on fess up. What you got?

Currently sitting in the garage/in the garden/at work I've got:

2006 Honda Hornet 600
2004 Buell Lightning
2003 Vespa PX125
1993 Honda Cub C90 (my son's run about)
1953 BSA Bantam D1

Got rid of all the fast ones. They were trying to kill me !:thumbsup:

currently got YAMAHA XJ600S tourer great bike and bullet proof.xx(

Top Bottom