Who's ever been to prison? I have and I'm going again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
So just like the railways of the time then.
Worse.:rolleyes:

byegad

Legendary Member
I went on a tour of the education area of Franklands in the 1980s.
The Deputy Governor started his introduction talk with:-

'We have dangerous men here, terrorists from Gaddafi's mob, the IRA and several other organisations as well as dangerous criminals. The prison is designed to hold off a company sized attack for long enough for the Catterick Garrison to arrive and deal with them.'

After that we went and spoke to the 'pupils' and teachers in the education block. It's a fact that every single man we spoke to was 'innocent' most 'fitted up by the police' or in one (Irish) case by the IRA!

It was a very scary place and I'm pleased I've never returned.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve been on the boat to Alcatraz.
Ooh, I forgot that. Here’s a photo of me over 30 years ago in Al Capon’s cell on Alcatraz.

58271AFD-1D2A-4FFA-9D55-2A4AFA613CB7.jpeg

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Had to visit Perth prison to borrow a straitjacket for a theatre show. Grim place. I was taken by a prisoner to the storeroom where the guard fetched the jacket. There was a pile of old ones and another pile of new ones neatly stacked. He gave me one of the old ones and driving back to the theatre I couldn't help but wonder about the circumstances in which it was used. Interesting stains on it too.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I visited our local YOI on many occasions before it closed.

I was always struck by how dedicated the staff were and how despairing the inmates were. Most of the lads I used to speak to would tell me that they fully expected to be back inside within a few months of their release.

netman

Veteran
When I was leaving the RAF, we had a tour of HMP Dartmoor - I was thinking of joining the Prison Service when I left, but that visit quickly put me off!

Very gloomy and Victorian. One thing I do remember is being impressed by the talent of some inmates when we saw the Art classroom - some incredible art, but mostly very dark themes.

MarkF

Guru
Used to go into Armley regularly with work, it's a dank Victorian hell hole and on every visit I couldn't wait to leave

Fortunately I haven't been to a prison in any capacity, but I did visit Dachau concentration camp whilst enjoying the delights of the Oktoberfest in Munich 35 years ago.

I don't think I've been anywhere that has less of an atmosphere. Not even the birds were singing, it was completely silent. Very eerie and very sad.

steverob

Guru
Never been inside one in any capacity, yet have lived all my life (various houses) within half a mile from Aylesbury YOI and currently walk past it to work every day.

I didn't know this until recently, but apparently it's one of the highest level institutions for young adults - the inmates there are either on very long term sentences (and so will probably serve most of their time in an adult prison eventually) or have been moved from other YOI's because of being troublemakers. So much so, that in other prisons, the officers allegedly use Aylesbury as a threat - if you get out of line, that's where they'll send you.

The only time I ever notice it is very rarely at night (maybe once a year at most), we'll hear a helicopter somewhere nearby but the noise sticks around; it'll just be hovering and not passing over. Normally that's cause there's trouble or been an escape attempt, but you only find out which a few days later when the local paper picks up on it.

Top Bottom