Who's starting to think..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
about getting the summer bike ready ;):tongue:
New chain and cassette are ready in the cupboard...all shiney and new.
I keep eyeing the maintenance stand in the shed....first clear day, i'm going to get the Bianchi out, strip it down, clean everything (calipers, cranks, the lot), fit the new bits and drool, waiting for the salt to get washed off the roads, then off we go for another year :biggrin: I cant wait...

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Blimey! Summer bike! I have one bike only, for all-year-round use. Who needs more than one?

...or who can afford more than one

zacklaws

Guru
I've got mine out already, but the bad weathers returned so cleaned it off and stuck it back on the turbo, till the chance of ice has gone and salt washed off the road with a bit of rain.

woohoo

Veteran
I went out on mine on Wednesday. Weather changed from overcast to heavy rain after 15 mins, roads were wet, muddy and slidey (not convinced that Michelin Race Pros are the best choice in these conditions :blush: ) and the Cateye computer packed up after getting water-logged, so I eventually gave up and headed home.

Ride time equalled 1 hour. Cleaning/drying/re-lubing bike/using hair dryer to resuscitate Cateye computer time equalled about an hour and half.

beancounter

Crikey, which summer bike?

Both Lemonds are ready to go. The Cannondale Six13 sits on a workstand, stripped of its Ultegra components which have been transferred on to the new Merckx, which just needs the gears setting up, then it's ready too. The 105 groupset from the Cannondale CX will then go on the Six13 and I have a new set of Tiagra waiting to go on the CX.

To top it all, the new Colnago C50 frame has just arrived at the LBS, so that needs building up too.

When I've stopped farting about I might get out for a ride...

bc

GrahamG

Guru
I have a nice vintage fixed which will only come out in summer but the road bike just gets the mudguards taken off - that said it's not used much in winter as I hate the cleaning/maintenance and use the fixed commuter for everything.

D

Deleted member 1258

My Dawes got two new tires fitted, and the transmission got cleaned and reoiled this afternoon. It also got cleaned, and I ordered new brake blocks for it. But I will be on the fixed for all riding for a little while yet.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I don't have summer bike.
But I was out on my "best bike" today.... just a quick but hilly 20K to check the new gearing was dialled in.
Mostly very sunny, but one very dark cloud heading in from west, rainbow underneath it, somehow I managed to dodge it on the outbound leg and follow it home, so I didnt get wet, as still with full 'guards.
Covered the new drivetrain with shoot though !

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Bikes been on the stand, wheels off.
Rear calipers off, cleaned and polished.
Frame cleaned and polished. Couple of cable rubbing points given new protection.
FSA Cranks off, taking to work tomorrow to give them a mist of black spray paint to cover blemishes and scratches.
Just realised i need a Campag locking ring for the cassette, so a trip to the LBS tomorrow hopefully.

Wheels are next, get into the spokes etc and give them a good clean etc, might fit some new pads..plenty to do.

I was bored this early evening, thats kept me occupied. Its a good opportunity to have a good look for any frame scratches etc and get them dealt with.

Top Bottom