Who's the numpty chasing the E Bike :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi. I've got this week off and my time is my own to do whatever I please (except for dentist on Thursday)
As you can imagine spare time means cycling time, and have put in a few good miles over the last few days.
Sunday I went for an epic ride out ( for me anyway) and managed to do 75 miles. It gave me chance to properly try out my new bike which ran faultlessly. On one of the many hills on my ride out, i spotted a fellow cyclist way out in front of me. I could just about make out from his clothing and ruck sack he was more than likely a commuter going home from work as he looked laden down with thick work clothes and a bike with heavy mud guards ect. As ever the fool ,whenever I see a cyclist up in front I always try to catch them. Cyclists are few and far between where I live and the childish nature in me always sets off a competitive instinct to try and catch up. As I started giving it my" all" up this long hill he just got smaller and smaller up in the distance. I was a bit miffed thinking that a guy on a heavy old mountain bike could leave me for dead whilst I was on my lightweight road bike looking the business :-) :-) .
When the down hill bit came, I gathered some decent speed and eventually caught him. It was then I noticed he was on an E bike. We spent a mile or so chatting and laughing at my expense of trying to catch him. I've never cycled before with anybody on an E bike and was mighlty impressed by the turn of speed of it in the hills.He went to tell me he's had loads of fun over the months flying past roadies ( infuriating them) on the uphill sections of the steep Welsh roads. If there ever comes to time when I can't cycle for health reasons I will certainly get an E Bike. My dad has one and uses his every day at the ripe old age of 75 with crumbling hip joints. I think there a brilliant invention that will keep people cycling well into there later years in life when a conventional bike can offer no more.
Today has been another great days worth of cycling. I'm 49 today and celebrated it with a 40 odd mile ride followed by a cold pint at the end. Can't wait for tomorrow to see were my cycling takes me again :-)

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Happy Birthday. And you are not the first ( nor will you be the last person) that has been caught out by someone riding an ebike. ^_^

Cavalol

Guru
I don't know if he's a twerp for it being 'non-legal', but going past anyone on a pedal only cycle on your e-bike doesn't seem to be much to be proud of. I do wonder (probably just jealousy because I'm fat/old/unfit) how many Strava KOMs are on eBikes.

Reactions: C R
Happy Birthday Johnny :-)

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
It was all I'm good banter between us. The point is I met someone new today and we both had a laugh about it all. Cycling is not just about getting from A to B. You get time to interact with other cyclists and have a chat with them. If your driving your completely cut off from any interaction with fellow drivers apart from using indicators or flashing headlights. Cycling gives you that third dimension to be sociable to fellow cyclists out on the road. ( I hope that makes sense after a few beers I've had tonight :-)

Drago

Legendary Member
I would love to see you try and climb the welsh hills at 15.5mph lol

Ah, you are making the classic mistake of judging another rider against your own standards. Lol indeed. 250W is a third of a horsepower, which ain't a lot, it doesn't have riders whizzing up hills like in the G Tech ads, and the assistance ceases at 15.5 MPH.

And how remiss of me - Happy Birthday Johnny. Enjoy the last year before the big one ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom