Why do peds always give you a mouthful?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

by some gaffa tape, put one large piece over the camera lens, another over the horn, and the remaining around your mouth. Breathing through your nose will come easy with practice.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
True.

I guess it is just the problem of maturity. As a young person I have a lot to say for myself. I often feel that what I have to say is important and as a result, talk a lot. This comes out worst on the roads.
It will come with age that I will learn to ignore things. I have improved greatly over the past few years and dont react too much now.

You're younger than your years I feel. Just checked out one of your videos. 'The Dangers of Cycling'... You are very very bad at this.

I always try to lend advice to those in need but you're beyond saving by the looks of it. I hope that the angry young man that you greet the world with learns how to calm down soon for your own good. Until then, there's the ignore button.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
There is nothing wrong with having your own opinions and knowing what is right and wrong. Too many people behave like sheep in this country and dare not express themselves through fear of upsetting somebody or the masses. Keep being your own man with your own personality Matthew. If others don't like it, at least you can keep your head high and think: "I am not a sheep and I won't be dictated what to think or do".

Cyclopathic

Veteran
That is exactly the problem most autistic/aspergers adults have and Matthew exemplifies - they have a very poor 'Theory of mind' ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind )and cannot put them selves in the other person's position
Perhaps there are ways that empathy can be encouraged and nurtured. Where most people develop empathy naturally through their interactions with people, perhaps there are ways that other people can conciously develop it.

PK99

Legendary Member
There is nothing wrong with having your own opinions and knowing what is right and wrong. Too many people behave like sheep in this country and dare not express themselves through fear of upsetting somebody or the masses. Keep being your own man with your own personality Matthew. If others don't like it, at least you can keep your head high and think: "I am not a sheep and I won't be dictated what to think or do".

having your own opinions is a good thing. knowing right from wrong is even better.

Encouraging Matthew to continue behaving (insulting strangers directly and in public) as he does, is in my opinion, a very wrong thing to do. If he does, he will get hurt.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I am off the bike for most of the week now so it might give me some time to think about things. Also, I am in London on Thurs and Fri so I will get a chance to see what cycling there is like.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Keep riding, take your horn off, keep you gob shut. Simples :bicycle:

Camera too, leave it at home. Put all that excess testosterone into forward motion, ride faster and enjoy it.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Encouraging Matthew to continue behaving (insulting strangers directly and in public) as he does, is in my opinion, a very wrong thing to do. If he does, he will get hurt.
I dont think that was what gav was saying. He was just pointing out that people get into a repetitive motion which is often caused by following the actions of others. He wasnt condoning my behaviour, he was just saying that he supports me not following other peoples actions.

D

Deleted member 20519

Saying something to someone does no harm.

This isn't true. Remember that self inflicted incident with the driver who cut the corner? If you hadn't said anything, you wouldn't have nearly been assaulted and I'm surprised you weren't. One day, someone with no patience is gonna come along and punch you square in the face. I hope that doesn't happen, but it will.

D

Deleted member 20519

The fact is that I dont feel like I am in the wrong, but I know that something that I did was wrong. Normally it is the fact that I react to people.

In the ped case, I reacted to him crossing infront of me. I then reacted to him shouting something and running after me.
In the case of today, I reacted to him passing me too closely. I then reacted to him telling me to get out of the middle of the road. And then I reacted to him shouting at me again.

It is always my reaction which instigates the situation. And I find it really hard to bite my tongue. This is probably (as has been said before) because I have my own view of the world and a bold view of right and wrong. My views are actually normally the correct ones but I just dont consider that what is right might not be someone elses view. And me reacting to them they see as wrong and confrontational.

Well you didn't have to call him an idiot, sure, walking out into traffic isn't the wisest thing to do but saying things like that is going to bring you more harm than good. I've had people walk out in front of me, I never shout at them - at most I say 'woaaah' and they tend to just say sorry.

PK99

Legendary Member
Perhaps there are ways that empathy can be encouraged and nurtured. Where most people develop empathy naturally through their interactions with people, perhaps there are ways that other people can conciously develop it.

it is not empathy or identification with anotheter emotion/viewpoint that is missing it is more fundamental than that - a real hard wired inability to realise that other people have a different perspective. I know someone in their 50's who is completely blind to such things.

Top Bottom