Why do peds always give you a mouthful?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I was just cycling along today minding my own business and a car overtakes me with no problem. Immediately after doing so, I notice the brake lights come on and a ped runs across the road infront of them.
Then a ped runs across the road in front of me and meets with the other ped. Both were grown men in 50's.

When the ped ran across infront of me, I said "Idiot" as I passed. I then heard the other ped say something so I pulled over at the next junction. The ped started walking towards me (he was a long way away) and I just decided to not bother getting into an arguement. As I cycled away, I noticed he flipped me the bird.
So I pulled over again. Now he is running towards me (still a long way away) and in the opposite direction to the way he was going originally. So I decided that if he is really that bothered, then I would make it worth him running after me.

So I then cycled away just as he was about 50 yards from me. :whistle: (Just to pee him off more)

In total, he had travelled about 80 metres by the time I went.

I have had peds give me a mouthful after walking out infront of me before. So what is it with these people? They always seem like the rough type who should know better.
I have had people tell me that I need to give way to peds and take care around them, but when they blatently disregard their own safety and yours and then give you a mouthful, then who is at fault?

zizou

Veteran
Well he may have done something daft but you were the one to give him a mouthful with the idiot comment, he then reacted to that. :biggrin:

Cant say i've had many pedestrians shout or say something negative towards me over the years, just not a big problem IME.

mattobrien

Guru
It was odd, there is probably a threading a forum elsewhere asking why cyclists always give peds a mouthful?

Abusing someone, stopping and then bottling the argument...

Matt1705

Über Member
I was cycling home from the shops last week, a group of kids (early teens I guess) were starting to cross the road on the other side. No need for me to slow down as there was loads of time, but one of the shouted very loudly at me "butt scratcher"

:confused: :rolleyes:

boydj

Legendary Member
IMHO You're better off making it obvious that its impeded or worried you with a "woahhh" or "careful mate", than bluntly insulting someone calling them an idiot even if they are ;)

Correct. Just about anybody will react to an insult like that. Having said that, I've been sworn at more than once for saying 'Careful' to pedestrians who looked like they were about to walk out in front of me.

Top Bottom