Why do peds always give you a mouthful?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markharry66

Über Member
Word of very strong advice while in london Matthew. Keep the attitude in check. And the mouth.
Enjoy London but behave

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I and I am sure that others are sick of you banging on about Asperger's, asparagus or aspidistras and you trot this out as a weak excuse when, in fact, you know what you are doing! From your opening post

When the ped ran across infront of me, I said "Idiot" as I passed. I then heard the other ped say something so I pulled over at the next junction. The ped started walking towards me (he was a long way away) and I just decided to not bother getting into an arguement. As I cycled away, I noticed he flipped me the bird.
So I pulled over again. Now he is running towards me (still a long way away) and in the opposite direction to the way he was going originally. So I decided that if he is really that bothered, then I would make it worth him running after me.
So I then cycled away just as he was about 50 yards from me. (Just to pee him off more)
So you knew the things to do to provoke a reaction, why do you do it?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I and I am sure that others are sick of you banging on about Asperger's, asparagus or aspidistras and you trot this out as a weak excuse when, in fact, you know what you are doing!

Did you miss this post or just choose to ignore it for the sake of a cheap shot mr_hippo?

It doesnt. And it isnt medical.

Autism might indirectly affect me (reading out numberplates and noticing more than the average person would), but it doesnt affect the way I act on the roads. That is down to my personality.

Robson3022

There is nothing wrong with having your own opinions and knowing what is right and wrong. Too many people behave like sheep in this country and dare not express themselves through fear of upsetting somebody or the masses. Keep being your own man with your own personality Matthew. If others don't like it, at least you can keep your head high and think: "I am not a sheep and I won't be dictated what to think or do".

I hear what your saying here and agree to a degree. I feel I probably lead my life a bit like this. However when this leads you to get knocked off your bike by some lunatic or get a good thumping because you couldn't evaluate the situation correctly and know when its right to just let things go its a bit different.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm going to sum up my feelings on this thread by generating a series of simplistic sayings that probably won't help, I've written these just for you Matt:

Having strong opinions is a decent indicator of an interesting personality, but the ability to listen and change your own opinions is the true benchmark of intelligence.

These people don't know me; I don't want them to decide they do know me based on a few seconds of banter.

We're all just trying to get by in this world, sometimes we're right, sometimes we're wrong, neither times define us.

Other road users aren't always wrong, they're sometimes wrong, and when they're wrong it doesn't matter to me.

If someone steps in front of me I'm going to look concerned, then if I feel I must say something I'll ask if they're okay.

My happiness on the road is not generated by correcting others.

There are potholes in life, there are smooth bits of road, which makes you feel happiest? Which do you steer towards?

Please, and I'm being serious here, try running one of these phrases through your head when you feel annoyed with other road users. This is sort of cycling CBT, you sound like you get het up because of automatic negative thoughts, say these phases (in your head, doesn't have to be out loud) enough and when you get mufty they'll automatically pop into your head until the way you deal with these situations changes for the better.

PK99

Legendary Member
Autism might indirectly affect me (reading out numberplates and noticing more than the average person would), but it doesnt affect the way I act on the roads. That is down to my personality.

You heed to develop more insight into your condition:

Personality is the particular combination of emotional, attitudinal, and behavioral response patterns of an individual.

Asperger syndrome (AS), also known as Asperger's syndrome or Asperger disorder, is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction,

Aspergers is not determinant of personality but it is very influential.

The 18 year old son of a friend is also on the asperger's spectrum, but has a very clear understanding of how it influences his behaviour but has a good circle for freinds his own age and has just started a degree in politics and international relations

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
No it's not.

Oh....bugger...:wacko:

Oh, maybe you're right ;)

Sandra6

Veteran
I am going to try and remember atleast some of those things Andrew.
Very well put.
In very general terms people with autism/aspergers related disorders don't have that bit of the brain that says "don't say that/don't do that" If it pops in their head it pops out their mouth, bit like a toddler. This could explain Matthew's need to point out other people's error of judgement all the time.
I have no such excuse, I'm just bad tempered and easily irritated, so I'm trying to use the voice in my head more, rather than letting the words come out of my mouth.
Matthew - you might do well to try the same.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I am going to try and remember atleast some of those things Andrew.
Very well put.
In very general terms people with autism/aspergers related disorders don't have that bit of the brain that says "don't say that/don't do that" If it pops in their head it pops out their mouth, bit like a toddler. This could explain Matthew's need to point out other people's error of judgement all the time.
I have no such excuse, I'm just bad tempered and easily irritated, so I'm trying to use the voice in my head more, rather than letting the words come out of my mouth.
Matthew - you might do well to try the same.

With five kids I think it's probably good for you to vent your frustrations, just peddle harder :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
I do find it slightly odd that I get this many incidents. I cannot find anything wrong with my cycling or even my attitude (in most cases).

Just to put the facts out there; since I got my Contour in March, I have had 1500 incidents. These vary from pedestrians, to cyclists, to car drivers. They vary in severity and most are close passes, must pass cyclist or minor incidents. However, I do have a few hundred serious or close calls regarding SMIDSY's, very close passes, left hooks, etc.
I do find this very strange compared to people who cycle in cities or worst places that NW.

I have over analysed things again havent I?:wacko:

I think on reflection you are trolling again. How can some one have so many non incidents which you then tell everyone? On reflection you must realise your poor reaction only escalated them to potentially difficult and hostile confrontations.

Just seen the above reply that you have Aspergers. Is this how people with Aspergers interact with others?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod

doh.gif

Crankarm

Guru
The fact is that I dont feel like I am in the wrong, but I know that something that I did was wrong. Normally it is the fact that I react to people.

In the ped case, I reacted to him crossing infront of me. I then reacted to him shouting something and running after me.
In the case of today, I reacted to him passing me too closely. I then reacted to him telling me to get out of the middle of the road. And then I reacted to him shouting at me again.

It is always my reaction which instigates the situation. And I find it really hard to bite my tongue. This is probably (as has been said before) because I have my own view of the world and a bold view of right and wrong. My views are actually normally the correct ones but I just dont consider that what is right might not be someone elses view. And me reacting to them they see as wrong and confrontational.

It's all very well feeling you are "right" the whole time and behaving accordingly, but it won't be worth anything if you are breathing through a straw or dead because some one has taken exception to you insulting them or winding them up however wronged you felt. Some times it's better to keep your mouth firmly closed rather than open it and confirm to the world you are a fool. Sometimes silence is the better course of action.

Top Bottom