Why do peds always give you a mouthful?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It's all very well feeling you are "right" the whole time and behaving accordingly, but it won't be worth anything if you are breathing through a straw or dead because some one has taken exception to you insulting them or winding them up however wronged you felt. Some times it's better to keep your mouth firmly closed rather than open it and confirm to the world you are a fool. Sometimes silence is the better course of action.

Indeed, one of the most revelatory moments I had as a teenager was when I realised the world doesn't give a poopy what I think of it, and it will carry on regardless of my opinions, actions or rank odour.

It's a liberating thought.

Crankarm

Guru
Indeed, one of the most revelatory moments I had as a teenager was when I realised the world doesn't give a poopy what I think of it, and it will carry on regardless of my opinions, actions or rank odour.

It's a liberating thought.

Indeed it will whether you are in it or not. How does your advice help young Matthew? IMHO premature death would be rather inconvenient.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Indeed it will whether you are in it or not. How does your advice help young Matthew? IMHO premature death would be rather inconvenient.

Help him? I think I added enough caveats to my post to make it clear I claim no ability to actually be useful!

This is a difficult thread to avoid. There is that Motorway-smash fascination which we all abhor but to which few are immune.

I've just realised I've been driving up and down the same stretch of (figurative) post-accident Motorway to gawp and gawp again at this chaos of twisted metal.

I should be ashamed of myself, but instead I'm going to add to it.

1. Matthew, it is not all about youth. I rode when I was younger than you are now, as did many other members of CC.

In a life spent cycling, driving, motorcycling and (briefly) truck-driving on the public highway, I'm not sure I've seen 1500 incidents.

I've certainly had fewer spats and verbal jousts with other road users in my whole motoring and cycling life than you've uploaded.

2. You've posted before in frustration (maybe borderline rage) at the behaviour of others and have been advised multilaterally to calm down and enjoy the ride. You accept the advice and then seem to revert to self-appointed moral guardian of the highway.

You've posted a nasty and potentially violent spat about a cut corner, only to have another of your own posts shown where you did the same thing in spades.

You've said in the past that you're calming down and then you post again to share your outrage (and slightly inflammatory comments) following what sounds a fairly innocuous non-incident.

This is beginning to look a little cyclical.

Really, most road users are courteous, skilled, aware and thoughtful. Most are not trying to kill you or find a new way to rile you.

Cycling is a wonderful thing, as you showed in your short film.

Take it from an old, grey codger who has seen fewer incidents in his life than you have recorded and posted: Calm down, celebrate the positive and throw the camera (and its replacement) into a skip.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Really, most road users are courteous, skilled, aware and thoughtful. Most are not trying to kill you or find a new way to rile you.

Cycling is a wonderful thing, as you showed in your short film.

Add these to that list of positive affirmations I wrote for you!

Linford

Sooo, anyway, myself and my mate decided to go for a beer in town after a hard day at work. Park up and the traffic is fairly heavy. My mate ducks across the road in a gap in the traffic, and I follow him over.
From nowhere, this kid on a cycle comes bombing along the road on the tail of a car and I have to move a bit sharpish to avoid us coming.together. I could live with that, but he then starts mouthing off, and taunting me.

Kids today have got no respect for their elders I tell ya.

Don't they know that I have as much right to cross the road as they have to ride on it.

The next thing I'll hear is that they have a medical condition which allows them to make excuses for their lack of manners. A good smack in the chops would have cured them of that 30 years ago instead of this shilly-shallying around to avoid hurting their 'feelings' !

roadrash

cycle chatterer
A good smack in the chops would have cured them of that 30 years ago instead of this shilly-shallying around to avoid hurting their 'feelings' !

have you never hurt anyones feelings then .......or are you in the same queue waiting for your smack in the chops:wacko:

Linford

Naughty boys turn into naughty men when certain parts of society bends over backwards to remove the boundaries which everyone else is expected to adhere too.

Hold your finger over a lit match for 10 seconds - you will only ever do it once asbergers or not, a bit of pain soon modifies the behaviour. Nature has equipped us well to figure things out when it is applied.

roadrash

cycle chatterer
and it seems your cure for the downfall of society is to go round smacking people in the chops

hmmm perhaps its just me but i cant see that working ...do you also fight fire with fire

Linford

and it seems your cure for the downfall of society is to go round smacking people in the chops

hmmm perhaps its just me but i cant see that working ...do you also fight fire with fire

It has worked long before our society evolved, and will carry on working long after it has gone.

I'm always amazed how people feel that we are able to evolve above our genetic programming on a whim.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As folk have said, the best thing is either keep quiet, or say something like "whooah". I've once or twice said 'nearly' then smiled when a ped has stepped out, but I've already stopped, and they poop themself as they realise they were nearly flattened. People make mistakes, and it is all road users duty to look out for others, including pedestrians.

It's the same as when I was crossing a main road with my dad, brother and BIL. Dad and BIL weren't too fast at crossing (dodgy knees and hip), and we hadn't quite made it over, when a guy goes tearing off from the lights and is screaming out of the window to move - I'd deliberately been at the back of the slow coaches. We just told him to do one, but he ended up with a right ear bending from his wife - we could hear it.

Matthew you made the mistake at shouting at the pedestrian for a small mistake, and then stopping exasperated the situation. A slightly built 18 year old giving mouth to a middle aged bloke is not going to go down very well. I've yet to meet any teenager that doesn't think they are in the wrong. It's all "I am". It's quite funny, as you go through this over confidence in your teens, then get it knocked out of you when you start a proper job, then to build it back up again and be a little wiser.

You've also yet to get involved in a good crash with another road user. Jumping up and down ranting isn't a good idea.

Linford

As folk have said, the best thing is either keep quiet, or say something like "whooah". I've once or twice said 'nearly' then smiled when a ped has stepped out, but I've already stopped, and they poop themself as they realise they were nearly flattened. People make mistakes, and it is all road users duty to look out for others, including pedestrians.

It's the same as when I was crossing a main road with my dad, brother and BIL. Dad and BIL weren't too fast at crossing (dodgy knees and hip), and we hadn't quite made it over, when a guy goes tearing off from the lights and is screaming out of the window to move - I'd deliberately been at the back of the slow coaches. We just told him to do one, but he ended up with a right ear bending from his wife - we could hear it.

Matthew you made the mistake at shouting at the pedestrian for a small mistake, and then stopping exasperated the situation. A slightly built 18 year old giving mouth to a middle aged bloke is not going to go down very well. I've yet to meet any teenager that doesn't think they are in the wrong. It's all "I am". It's quite funny, as you go through this over confidence in your teens, then get it knocked out of you when you start a proper job, then to build it back up again and be a little wiser.

You've also yet to get involved in a good crash with another road user. Jumping up and down ranting isn't a good idea.

Someone I know put this another way - 'Quick, employ a teenager whilst they still know everything'

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Naughty boys turn into naughty men when certain parts of society bends over backwards to remove the boundaries which everyone else is expected to adhere too.

Hold your finger over a lit match for 10 seconds - you will only ever do it once asbergers or not, a bit of pain soon modifies the behaviour. Nature has equipped us well to figure things out when it is applied.
Positive reenforcement is by far the best way to teach any animal including us to do anything with any degree of lasting success. If not they would train horses and sniffer dogs with a lit match. People are the same. Punishment doesn't work in the long term and is even less effective in humans because of our ability to reason. It offers no deeper understanding therfor results will be unreliable. That's what I reckon anyway.

Top Bottom