Why do people want lighter bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Awesomeness is like uniqueness or pregnancy....you can’t be a bit awesome. You either are or you aren’t. Not everyone in London is awesome...but nobody outside London is ever awesome.

I will have to take issue with you there Mr Mark

I have, on more than one occasion been a teensy bit awesome.

Never totally awesome - as that would be immodest - thus nullifying the awesomeness.

Plus i definitely don't live in london ,so I guess mine is 'Provincial style awesomeness' not the true gritty urban deal

But yes you certainly can't list a number of USP's for instance.

And shall we start of fewer or less ?

That can keep everyone going for a few rounds, i usually find ..

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Be careful it is not battleship grey as that weighs several tonnes. So heavy in fact that powerful fixie tug bikes have to pull them along to ensure they can be maneuvered round twisting town and city streets.

Fret not, I'm generally a country cyclist so no mean streets - although Devon lanes can have their fair share of convolutions .

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My bike is quite light. Until I sit on it.

Alas - Your bike remains the same weight - regardless of whether you sit upon it or not .

The additional mass is contributed by your personage - not the velocipide itself.

Sort-of-sciencey pedantry from the peasantry .

You're welcome

Alas - Your bike remains the same weight - regardless of whether you sit upon it or not .

The additional mass is contributed by your personage - not the velocipide itself.

Sort-of-sciencey pedantry from the peasantry .

You're welcome
But as you sit on it your weight will ever so slightly cause the bike to compress thus lowering the centre of gravity of the bike pushing it ever so slightly closer to the centre of the earth thus increasing its weight due to the increase in gravity dut to the decrease in the earth and the bikes centres.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
But as you sit on it your weight will ever so slightly cause the bike to compress thus lowering the centre of gravity of the bike pushing it ever so slightly closer to the centre of the earth thus increasing its weight due to the increase in gravity dut to the decrease in the earth and the bikes centres.

Dargnabit..
Youse got me right there.

That meddling gravitational pull..
It just don't let up - no-hows it wont . :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Be careful it is not battleship grey as that weighs several tonnes. So heavy in fact that powerful fixie tug bikes have to pull them along to ensure they can be maneuvered round twisting town and city streets.
My 1980s Dawes Shadow is battleship grey.

And you're right.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Thought of another point this morning while cycling in. Components.

I replaced my Cassette about a year ago and it cost me £10. Now if I had a bike with high-end (read "lighter") components, I would feel obliged to replace them like for like. If I had to buy a Shimano Dura Ace R9100 11-Speed Cassette it would cost me north of £150!! for the same part! Just lighter. What is the point in that when I am not racing?

Also serviceability. Many of the parts on a dirt cheap bike are fully serviceable by the user whereas on the higher end models they are sealed and or not serviceable.

It's a shame those who disagree or who seem annoyed with my suggestion seem determined to derail the conversation to the point a mod closes the thread (nice tactic by the way...). Very transparent.

Last edited:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Isn't this a matter of horses for courses?

My light bike is about 7.5kg and I use it to keep up with other riders on club rides but otherwise it's not very practical for me as I can't carry anything, can't fit proper mudguards and can't fit fatter tyres for winter BUT I still love riding it when it is the bike for the occasion.

My 1990 Reynolds 531 weights about 12kg with mudguards, Schwhalbe Marathon tyres, triple crankset and a rear rack.... it's perfect for just about anything that I need to carry something where the Van Nicholas is not appropriate for.

My Surly Ogre is setup for touring ATM and weights about 14.5kg with touring Schwhalbe touring tyres, heavy duty wheels, mudguards, racks and suspension seatpost. This bike is for comfort and go anywhere. On club rides some riders go off rode for sections of the route to make rides more interesting to them and I can join them with this bike but also for comfort this is the bike I pick everytime.

So, I'd say, ride whatever you feel happy with, for me, there's no need to justify my gear in terms of fitness efficiency, I personally ride for the enjoyment of it and my bike selection is based on whatever fits the occasion to make the ride more enjoyable.

My light bike is about 7.5kg and I use it to keep up with other riders on club rides but otherwise it's not very practical for me as I can't carry anything, can't fit proper mudguards and can't fit fatter tyres for winter BUT I still love riding it when it is the bike for the occasion.

My 1990 Reynolds 531 weights about 12kg with mudguards, Schwhalbe Marathon tyres, triple crankset and a rear rack.... it's perfect for just about anything that I need to carry something where the Van Nicholas is not appropriate for.

My Surly Ogre is setup for touring ATM and weights about 14.5kg with touring Schwhalbe touring tyres, heavy duty wheels, mudguards, racks and suspension seatpost. This bike is for comfort and go anywhere. On club rides some riders go off rode for sections of the route to make rides more interesting to them and I can join them with this bike but also for comfort this is the bike I pick everytime.

So, I'd say, ride whatever you feel happy with, for me, there's no need to justify my gear in terms of fitness efficiency, I personally ride for the enjoyment of it and my bike selection is based on whatever fits the occasion to make the ride more enjoyable.
That's the way to do it.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran

I dare say you are right, In an ideal world I would have a bike for all occasions.
But realistically, talking specifically about commuting, ill take the heavier - more robust bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom