Why do people want lighter bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Has a moderator not already had to delete your previous posts? Maybe you should stop trolling and derailing.
No I deleted it. Get over yerself.

Have I done something to annoy you? The hypothesis is valid and a reasonable discussion point. Just so happens you dont agree with it. So what?
It had people trying to be reasonable which was then roundly dismissed, so quickly turned into irrelevance and ridicule. I can't see how sticking to the original topic is going to go any other way.

So the mods should either accept it will ultimately end up that way and allow it...or close it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Just out of curiosity, I decided to weigh my bikes, with pedals, seat etc

The MTB (Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite) weighs 13.2kg, whereas the road bike (Pinarello Dogma) is only 7.1kg

The Dogma will still be crap riding Castor Hanglands ,but it will still look cool:laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've skipped a few pages of this thread. Looks like I've missed some fun. I may go back and have a read.

Has the phrase "more money than sense" been bandied around yet? How about "proper cyclists"?

Edit. I've had a read. I was wrong, and I misjudged my fellow CCers. Instead of endless silly and repetitive wittering on the cost and weight of bikes there has been some solid discussion on the impact of bike colour on speed. I salute you.

Last edited:
I've skipped a few pages of this thread. Looks like I've missed some fun. I may go back and have a read.

Has the phrase "more money than sense" been bandied around yet? How about "proper cyclists"?

Edit. I've had a read. I was wrong, and I misjudged my fellow CCers. Instead of endless silly and repetitive wittering on the cost and weight of bikes there has been some solid discussion on the impact of bike colour on speed. I salute you.
Black bikes go faster. Logically you’d think white bikes would as they’d reflect more light thus absorb less heat so wouldn’t expand like a black bike does as an expanded bike having a larger surface area would create more drag. I can only assume that cyclists with black bikes are more awesome and therefore quicker.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yesterday I wanted a lighter bike because the weather was dry & sunny with light winds.
Today I wanted a heavier bike due to it being more stable in stronger (cross) winds and having mudguards for the wet conditions
Tomorrow, if the weather forecast is correct, I'll want an even heavier bike with chunky, wide tyres to cope with the snow/slush/whatever
None of them are black*, blue or red.

Or is that far too sensible an answer?

*Except for the forks

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Black bikes go faster. Logically you’d think white bikes would as they’d reflect more light thus absorb less heat so wouldn’t expand like a black bike does as an expanded bike having a larger surface area would create more drag. I can only assume that cyclists with black bikes are more awesome and therefore quicker.

Black bikes generate more heat, this creates a superheated layer of air next to the frame. Heat is a measure of how fast the molecules move about. It also creates a smoother boundary layer next to the frame reducing turbulence and improving aerodynamics. QED you go faster.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Black bikes generate more heat, this creates a superheated layer of air next to the frame. Heat is a measure of how fast the molecules move about. It also creates a smoother boundary layer next to the frame reducing turbulence and improving aerodynamics. QED you go faster.

Oooo fabulous - more convincing sciencey stuff.

i'm glad i have a dark grey bike though, so am only expected to be a teensy bit awesome - not the whole interstella deal

i'm glad i have a dark grey bike though, so am only expected to be a teensy bit awesome - not the whole interstella deal
Awesomeness is like uniqueness or pregnancy....you can’t be a bit awesome. You either are or you aren’t. Not everyone in London is awesome...but nobody outside London is ever awesome.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Be careful it is not battleship grey as that weighs several tonnes. So heavy in fact that powerful fixie tug bikes have to pull them along to ensure they can be maneuvered round twisting town and city streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom