Why do people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I think it also depends on body dimensions , core strength and flexibility, im 5 foot 7" on a good day and my drop is 6 cm but i do also tend to ride with my arms bent resting on the tops which gives me about the same body position as on the drops and i find it comfy .
That I can understand, but 10m!! How tall is fossyant?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
:whistle: Lucky the UCI banned different sized wheels or this could get silly.

francesco-moser-hour-record-bike_zpsf88ae777.jpg

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I don't think my drop is that bad ....

006_zps452b5052.jpg

My longest ride like that is @118 miles and no real problem with the position . Yes I started to ache towards the end but after that distance ( and at my age :angry: ) that's to be expected . I wasn't uncomfortable though and could have carried on but my target miles where 100 so I was ready for a beer :okay:

Edit . Looking at the picture with the level line on the counter gives perspective to the drop . I imagine if that cage wasn't behind the bike the drop would look a lot more .

The drop on the TT bike is also a nice position and I will probably go lower with the bars to slice through the air like a Ninja :laugh:

002_zpswproirhu.jpg

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'll have to get round to measuring it but my saddle and bars are far from level. And my hoods face forwards, not that weird upwards way some people have 'em.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have quite a lot of seatpost showing, but I guess a fairly typical woman with long legs compared to torso, shorter reach, smaller hands. Stems flipped to maintain a reasonable upright position though :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have quite an aggressive position on mine. I have seen worse and I only run a 100mm stem.
tmp_683-DSC_05251860153133.JPG

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I don't think my drop is that bad ....

006_zps452b5052.jpg

My longest ride like that is @118 miles and no real problem with the position . Yes I started to ache towards the end but after that distance ( and at my age :angry: ) that's to be expected . I wasn't uncomfortable though and could have carried on but my target miles where 100 so I was ready for a beer :okay:

Edit . Looking at the picture with the level line on the counter gives perspective to the drop . I imagine if that cage wasn't behind the bike the drop would look a lot more .

The drop on the TT bike is also a nice position and I will probably go lower with the bars to slice through the air like a Ninja :laugh:

002_zpswproirhu.jpg
Looking at both those pictures, i would say your bars and saddle are virtually level......

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
My saddle is currently just below my bars, but as i stated earlier my cleats are all the way back on my shoes. Which meant i needed within the region of 25/40 mm drop in saddle height due to this........it stops my damaged knee and foot hurting, but i have kept the same height on my bars.......reading steve hogg and he does say to drop bar height too, but i havent as yet

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Looking at both those pictures, i would say your bars and saddle are virtually level......
Ive just measured and I have about a 35mm drop to the tops on the road bikes .
About the same on the TT bike to the bottom of the pads . Never checked that before so I guess it shows I like that position .

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
All my bikes have the seat higher than the bars (except the BSA Shopper!), MTB, Brompton, road bikes. It's the most comfortable position for me. Up to 4" drop from seat to bars seems fine. It's not about emulating anyone, it's just the most comfortable and effective riding position.

Top Bottom