Why do so many people hate cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A chap at our church is an 'anti' and seems to always want to come and find us for a rant. I have pointed out that road tax does not exist and that the car is not the be all and end all of life. He calls cyclists 'cockroaches' and says that its his mission to do close passes and scare cyclists off the road. I suggested that was not a terribly Christian attitude and had he not got to the bits in the bible that talk about tolerance.

He has nearly had us off a couple of times when leaving church. His rants though can be heard clear across the coffee room.

I reckon you should get jiggy with his missus.
Sounds like she wants you.....:girl:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
slide-14-grant-mitchell.jpg
Sorry I ..... had to use the one I took of you that Sunday you turned up for the CC ride in a Bimmer...
That's @ianrauk !!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Proper 'ard, he is. :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyway, back to OP:
"Send for Ian !" :ph34r:

uclown2002

Guru
I've never encountered any negative cycle BS either at work or socially; makes me wonder what sort of nobbers you folk associate with!

Last edited:

400bhp

Guru
Perhaps you could ask the priest/vicar to work it into his sermon. Sit behind him and watch him squirm.

this.

And it can be tenuous, but enough to get the point understood.

OP
OP
Dmcd33

Dmcd33

The negative attitude appears to have come about over the past year or two. My theory as to why?
1. More people cycling on the road (particularly London) means that drivers have to pay more attention to what they are doing.
2. Jelousy - we pass traffic, keep fit, spend less money on commuting etc..
3. Some see it as their road because they pay an imaginary tax (don't go there)
4. We are the easiest target for people to take out their frustrations (smallest fish in the pond)

Overall, it still baffles me as to why the hatred. I don't mean "dislike" or "they irritate me". As above; BMW and Audi drivers tailgating irritate me, but I don't Hate them. People walking out into the road on their phones irritate me, but I don't hate them. People not indicating in their cars irritate me, but ........

If anyone has read a newspaper comment thread or listened the LBC or BBC London over the period where there were the cyclsits deaths. Nearly all drivers were using it to blame cylists! Now that irritated me.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Even whilst changing my inner tube beside the traffic lights this morning I had a happy grin & cheery demeanour, or so said my mate who passed by in his car.

Cycle haters seem to have entitlement issues and tribal issues, wanting to tar all cyclists with one brush.

It's not as if I hold all drivers responsible for killing Princess Diana, after all ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, I definitely have experienced the hatred! I had a WVM slow to my speed so his mate could smile at me then do a thick, green gob straight in my face. I have had eggs thrown at me, buckets of water emptied over me, and abuse screamed at me. I had another WVM drive at me down a road in Penzance (narrowed to singletrack by roadworks) against a red light. He gave me the finger and made it pretty clear that if I didn't dismount and get the f*ck out of his way then he and his burly mate would get out and move me!

The truth is that we get haters even on the forum. Somebody reading this will either now suggest that I had it coming to me, or at least be thinking it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom