Why do so many people hate cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Gawd, frankly I expect those apes just hate any one not just cyclists, even their own mothers (the unfortunate women)

tyred

Legendary Member
I just hate everyone. It's easiest that way and nobody can accuse of discrimination.

400bhp

Guru
The negative attitude appears to have come about over the past year or two. My theory as to why?
1. More people cycling on the road (particularly London) means that drivers have to pay more attention to what they are doing.
2. Jelousy - we pass traffic, keep fit, spend less money on commuting etc..
3. Some see it as their road because they pay an imaginary tax (don't go there)
4. We are the easiest target for people to take out their frustrations (smallest fish in the pond)

Overall, it still baffles me as to why the hatred. I don't mean "dislike" or "they irritate me". As above; BMW and Audi drivers tailgating irritate me, but I don't Hate them. People walking out into the road on their phones irritate me, but I don't hate them. People not indicating in their cars irritate me, but ........

If anyone has read a newspaper comment thread or listened the LBC or BBC London over the period where there were the cyclsits deaths. Nearly all drivers were using it to blame cylists! Now that irritated me.

Utter garbage

400bhp

Guru
The negative attitude (if there is one) hasn't suddenly come from nowhere, it's always been there.

Same old peeps venting frustration on someone or other.

400bhp

Guru
Well, I definitely have experienced the hatred! I had a WVM slow to my speed so his mate could smile at me then do a thick, green gob straight in my face. I have had eggs thrown at me, buckets of water emptied over me, and abuse screamed at me. I had another WVM drive at me down a road in Penzance (narrowed to singletrack by roadworks) against a red light. He gave me the finger and made it pretty clear that if I didn't dismount and get the f*ck out of his way then he and his burly mate would get out and move me!

The truth is that we get haters even on the forum. Somebody reading this will either now suggest that I had it coming to me, or at least be thinking it!

Yes, but were any of these from peeps that had a general dislike to cyclists? We will never know.

I got close passed a week back on a road with plenty of room for a safe overtake-I shouted something and as soon as I did the bloke slowed right down and started weaving around on the road. He said it was my problem if the edge of the road is full of potholes and some such other bollox. Point being this tool has probably got an axe to grind with anyone he believes he can bully around.

Phill Woods

I've given up caring about it. Some people won't change and as long i use the road appropriately it won't be my fault. I can't tell you how many times i have ranted about drivers that completely disregard us as road users. Just because i ride a bike doesn't mean i don't drive a car too!!

Anyway...i will always stick up for cyclists but there are a few that give us all a bad name!

OP
OP
Dmcd33

Dmcd33

It does tend to be angry men that try to do the same to me in my big old Volvo (tailgate, undertake, flash lights, speed) When i'm on my bike it's a whole different game.

The vicar is the main point I am making in the thread. He calls us/them "cocroaches" and has a mission to drive us/them of the road? This is irrational and out of context. I bet if he were asked why, he couldn't put any facts together apart from some daily mail tirade about not wearing helmets, road tax...blah.. blah...
People aren't even able to tell me why they have such a hatred. It is usually "they take up all the road" and "they jump red lights" ?

I still can't fathom why such out of context anger?

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Some people are just angry walkers, I mean I had this Car App on my phone for Aviva car insurance, it recorded my driving for 200 miles, I was always bang on the speed limit had to take ages to get up to speed and brake down, brake before corners and then take them slowly at a constant speed. Like an over exaggerated couscous drive. You would not believe the amount of abuse I got on the road, tailgating, flash lights, getting called a walker everyday. All because I drove super careful and slow, words messed up I tell you.

OP
OP
Dmcd33

Dmcd33

Some people are just angry walkers, I mean I had this Car App on my phone for Aviva car insurance, it recorded my driving for 200 miles, I was always bang on the speed limit had to take ages to get up to speed and brake down, brake before corners and then take them slowly at a constant speed. Like an over exaggerated couscous drive. You would not believe the amount of abuse I got on the road, tailgating, flash lights, getting called a walker everyday. All because I drove super careful and slow, words messed up I tell you.
I'm guessing your spell check has been kind the the word Walker

I think they're just scared of cyclists. They may have to slow down, wait and show some responsibility, and possibly put the mobile phone down.
But then I've got a small car and laugh myself silly at the morons trying to intimidate me because of that too. Life's too short to give a toss about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom