Why do so many people hate cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lanzecki

Über Member
I was hoping the quartered bit would be ignored. It's amazing what you can do with a fresnel lens.

Observations when cycling topics are raised for discussion;

Being a cyclist - lots of positive comments, questions about becoming one, even adulation
Cycling on a public - mixed reactions with people sharing their experience views - good, bad or ugly, usually bad
Cycling abreast - hot and heavy topic, can be fairly emotive
Road tax for cyclist - 50/50, not emotive but discussions can be academic i.e. social costs, sharing the burden etc
Cyclists jumping the lights - cycling community cast as condoning this particular behaviour????
Cycling facility such as racks and showers in the workplace - can divide work colleagues who do not cycle
Cycling without helmets - women can become emotive but men can't be bothered (the guy deserve it attitude)
Theft of bike - highly emotive amongst cyclists but considered a non-issue for discussion by noon-cyclists
Fixed gear with no brakes - the occasional freedom of expression argument will surface
Lance Armstrong before being busted - fairly divided
Lance Armstrong after being busted - scathing to everyone dopes argument
Men wearing lycra - small but clear dissent group
Women wearing lycra - only option (unanimous)

thumb_34114_400_280.jpg

...fit a bell to your bicycle because this makes you look even more ridiculous. There's fewer funnier things in life than the sight of a peeved cyclists ineffectually ringing their teensy weeny bell at a speeding 4 ton juggernaut.

He won't mess with you again my trouser-clipped friend. mainly because he has made a mess of the Tarmac with the remains of your head.

They know their audience.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was unfortunate enough have an incident with an anti cyclist neanderthal yesterday. We both approached a mini roundabout at the same time,he indicated right so i set off turning left judging that i had about 5 seconds before he was behind me. I was wrong,he went and drove over the mini roundabout instead of going round it then he blasted me and gave me some threatening shaking fist gesture. I shouted at him that it was a roundabout and not a go over-about meaning that i was allowed time to pull out safely while he drove around it instead of over it! He knew he was in the wrong but i guess he did it on purpose as he was that kind of a sad git!:dry:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Someone squirted me with some urine from his water pistol from the back seat of a car, Cromwell Road, west London. I didn't like it. I got over it.

Most motorists are very considerate. If you want to get on your bike with a victim mentality, go ahead. Happy New Year.

How do you know it was urine slowmo,it might've been cider?!:cheers:

I tasted it. It stayed on my face. It wasn't Strongbow. I am just old enough to know the difference.:cheers:
You're forever taking the p1ss, you!

I have a simple response to all those who complain or moan about cyclists. I tell them
"You won't look that fat if you start cycling"
They either do not talk to me again or if they do, won't moan about cyclists.

robjh

Legendary Member
"All the cyclists I see jump red lights"

Response - no they don't. That statement is quite impossible. I ride the same streets as you drive, I do notice other cyclists, and do not see that.

The question is how such false perceptions get so firmly embedded. The colleague who told me this appeared to sincerely believe it.

( I didn't reply "All drivers I see are drunk/on drugs/on phones/texting/speeding/banned from driving/uninsured" although by using the same logic I could have done)

cd365

Guru
A chap at our church is an 'anti' and seems to always want to come and find us for a rant. I have pointed out that road tax does not exist and that the car is not the be all and end all of life. He calls cyclists 'cockroaches' and says that its his mission to do close passes and scare cyclists off the road. I suggested that was not a terribly Christian attitude and had he not got to the bits in the bible that talk about tolerance.

He has nearly had us off a couple of times when leaving church. His rants though can be heard clear across the coffee room.
If had ranted to me and then nearly took me off I would have warned him the next time I saw him that if he did that again I would rip his head off and if he did it again then I would.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
A chap at our church is an 'anti' and seems to always want to come and find us for a rant. I have pointed out that road tax does not exist and that the car is not the be all and end all of life. He calls cyclists 'cockroaches' and says that its his mission to do close passes and scare cyclists off the road. I suggested that was not a terribly Christian attitude and had he not got to the bits in the bible that talk about tolerance.

He has nearly had us off a couple of times when leaving church. His rants though can be heard clear across the coffee room.
Kick him in the balls. It's the Christian thing to do if reasoned thus. God loves those who suffer so increase his suffering and therefore god's love for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom