Why do so many people hate cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But how fat was he before he started cycling?!
'He' was me about 3 years ago, so I feel well qualified to answer! :thumbsup:

I started cycling again as an adult in 1989. My weight has gone up and down between a minimum of 11 st 10 lbs and a maximum 16 st 9 lbs several times in the past 25 years. Cycling more does help me keep my weight under control, but controlling the calorie intake is the real answer. (I have lost 50 pounds in weight since that photo was taken and I am within a stone of my target weight now. That has been achieved by calorie reduction rather than cycling - I have been very ill and only cycled a few hundred miles in 2 years.)

Ganymede

Veteran
'He' was me about 3 years ago, so I feel well qualified to answer! :thumbsup:

I started cycling again as an adult in 1989. My weight has gone up and down between a minimum of 11 st 10 lbs and a maximum 16 st 9 lbs several times in the past 25 years. Cycling more does help me keep my weight under control, but controlling the calorie intake is the real answer. (I have lost 50 pounds in weight since that photo was taken and I am within a stone of my target weight now. That has been achieved by calorie reduction rather than cycling - I have been very ill and only cycled a few hundred miles in 2 years.)

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

I've read in your posts about your struggle with your health. Totally :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

It's the friendly start and then list of anecdotal events that at worst are; Slowing them down on country lanes or the guy they saw jump a red light and nearly knock them over 6 months ago (I have seen cars do this on my commute numerous times, one even ran over a childs foot a few weeks ago etc....)

I agree that ... cycling two abrest ...

When did cycling two 'abrest' become illegal?? Or two abreast even. When I last read the highway code I'm sure it said 'no more than two abreast'.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Even now my work mate opposite me hates cyclists, his brain just cannot get past they should be on the road. I think it’s a disability.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's just jealousy. Non-cyclists hate cyclists because we're
  • fitter;
  • healthier;
  • prettier;
  • never get held up by traffic;
  • not short of money because of our mode of transport;
  • supporting the environment;
  • don't have to waste time going to gyms or going out for a run, because our commute is our exercise session.
The fact is, we just make them look bad :laugh:.

Sometimes, I'm tempted to get angry at people like that making silly, uninformed comments about cyclists, but then I think of everything in the above list, and I feel pity instead. If that makes me smug and superior, well so be it.

That rules me out of the "cyclist" classification then, despite my hard earned 3500+ miles in each of the last 3 years; because I don't commute by bike :sad:. I own other modes of transport, but they don't leave me short of money; if they did, they would soon get sold! (As would my bikes if I couldn't afford them).

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I think the best way would be to discuss your concerns with the pastor, then get him to stand near the AntiCyclist and provoke one of the rants (which needn't be a particularly manipulative procedure as he's obviously on a hair-trigger). Then get the pastor to tap him on the shoulder...

Oh, and please film it for us!
Interestingly enough, our Pastor was chatting about cycling and cars giving close passes and that we all share a planet, a country, a common faith etc He touched on Exodus 20:13 and said that he felt that getting in a car and deliberately trying to knock a cyclist off was covered quite nicely there.
I looked about and the anti-cyclist was looking abashed and his wife was poking him in the ribs with a definite look of 'see Pastor has noticed.

OP
OP
Dmcd33

Dmcd33

When did cycling two 'abrest' become illegal?? Or two abreast even. When I last read the highway code I'm sure it said 'no more than two abreast'.
It's not illegal, but neither is driving in a cycle lane (superhighway in London anyway). I'm all for two abreast cycling, but have come accross people doing it as if to make a point and holding up large tailbacks. It only takes a bit of give and take.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It's not illegal, but neither is driving in a cycle lane (superhighway in London anyway). I'm all for two abreast cycling, but have come accross people doing it as if to make a point and holding up large tailbacks. It only takes a bit of give and take.

And how do you conclude that they were doing it "to make a point"? How does it hold people up, given that the safe procedure for passing two people cycling abreast is exactly the same as the procedure for passing a single cyclist?

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Ha Ha just found this guy on Google Street View, It maybe one of the reasons..........

silly.jpg

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
2871455 said:
I see multiple instances of drivers holding and reading stuff on phones every journey to and from work. Not isolated instances, not on occasion, more than one every time.

Sorry, I just thought it was funny :sad:

Linford

People like to hate and marginalise other groups of people Mickle..I've seen this before on Horse riding forums. The people moaning have no idea why it is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom