Why do so many people hate cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a simple response to all those who complain or moan about cyclists. I tell them
"You won't look that fat if you start cycling"
I, er ... :whistle::blush:

Colin when fat.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This. We need to stop indulging it. I plan to draw up some guidelines...
This is an issue....

The only serious falling out I've ever had with someone where I currently work was due to the lack of guidelines.

He went off on one about cyclists at some length on all the usual topics and, having decided that slapping him, as one might a hysteric, would be counter-productive, I told him, to his face, that he could go feck himself. He promptly went whining to HR about my unprofessional behaviour/language. So I told them the same. Nobber.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
This is an issue....

The only serious falling out I've ever had with someone where I currently work was due to the lack of guidelines.

He went off on one about cyclists at some length on all the usual topics and, having decided that slapping him, as one might a hysteric, would be counter-productive, I told him, to his face, that he could go feck himself. He promptly went whining to HR about my unprofessional behaviour/language. So I told them the same. Nobber.

I don't think my guidelines would change the outcome of this one.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The negative attitude appears to have come about over the past year or two.

I thought about this. The first time I was on the receiving end of the rant was when I was seventeen, an indecently long time ago, when "you and your mates" had held someone up for maybe thirty seconds when taking part in a TT.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I thought about this. The first time I was on the receiving end of the rant was when I was seventeen, an indecently long time ago, when "you and your mates" had held someone up for maybe thirty seconds when taking part in a TT.
Ah the mystical 'Holding people up' accusation.

Right, I'll play.

Just WHAT THE fark are we (as cyclists) holding car drivers up from? At what point is their journey more important than a cyclist's life/safety?

I ought to start a 'why do so many cyclists hate drivers' thread........

In answer to the original question its because we are seen as an outside group and idiots hate anything thats different. Its like racism/sectarianism but for the moment society accepts it when its directed to cyclists :sad:

On a more cheerful note, I was going fast behind a big box van yesterday and I was caught out by lights changing to amber :blush: A transit van was sitting on my wheel and the surface was greasy, so I didn't fancy an emergency stop. So I turned left to see an idiot (a typical cyclist hater I suspect) six cars back in a queue pointing out to me he had a green light. It must have been easier to blame the left turning cyclist rather than the transit that went straight through behind me :wacko: It was probably unfathomable to him too that by the time I had passed him six car back probably meant I hadn't went left on Red but as everybody knows all cyclist jump red lights :rolleyes:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Just WHAT THE f*** are we (as cyclists) holding car drivers up from? At what point is their journey more important than a cyclist's life/safety?
From beginning to its end?

CP you are forgetting that for many, even most, the driver imperative is I must get in front of you at all costs, I must stay at the front of you at all times. I am not the traffic. You are the traffic. I must travel at high speed. You must not delay me. I am very important. You are not important to me. I drive a very prestigious machine. YOU merely ride a 'pushbike' (or drive a much less prestigious machine).

Pico Triano

If he wasn't anti cycling he'd be anti something else. It doesn't bother me as long as they don't start doing things on the road to make my life dangerous. Usually the anti's I talk to think I'm engaging in an extreme sport like bull fighting.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It's just jealousy. Non-cyclists hate cyclists because we're
  • fitter;
  • healthier;
  • prettier;
  • never get held up by traffic;
  • not short of money because of our mode of transport;
  • supporting the environment;
  • don't have to waste time going to gyms or going out for a run, because our commute is our exercise session.
The fact is, we just make them look bad :laugh:.

Sometimes, I'm tempted to get angry at people like that making silly, uninformed comments about cyclists, but then I think of everything in the above list, and I feel pity instead. If that makes me smug and superior, well so be it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's just jealousy. Non-cyclists hate cyclists because we're
  • fitter;
  • healthier;
  • prettier;
  • never get held up by traffic;
  • not short of money because of our mode of transport;
  • supporting the environment;
  • don't have to waste time going to gyms or going out for a run, because our commute is our exercise session.
The fact is, we just make them look bad :laugh:.

you forgot
  • smug
  • more conceited
  • far too pleased with ourselves
amongst other things. :whistle:

Ganymede

Veteran
Oooh, that's an idea. Pastor is a keen cyclist and our church used to have a Sunday afternoon cycling club for families.

I think the best way would be to discuss your concerns with the pastor, then get him to stand near the AntiCyclist and provoke one of the rants (which needn't be a particularly manipulative procedure as he's obviously on a hair-trigger). Then get the pastor to tap him on the shoulder...

Oh, and please film it for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom