Why do so many people hate cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nappadang

Über Member
A chap at our church is an 'anti' and seems to always want to come and find us for a rant. I have pointed out that road tax does not exist and that the car is not the be all and end all of life. He calls cyclists 'cockroaches' and says that its his mission to do close passes and scare cyclists off the road. I suggested that was not a terribly Christian attitude and had he not got to the bits in the bible that talk about tolerance.

He has nearly had us off a couple of times when leaving church. His rants though can be heard clear across the coffee room.
You should record these rants, this idiot will kill someone.

Linford

No they're not. The latter is not an issue at all, and the former is a minor issue blown out of all proportion for political reasons.

The former is an issue because it colours the rest of societies perception of cyclists as a group of people who feel that the laws of the land were written for others to obey....I'm not the greatest fan of ignorant people tarring with a broad brush. I've see you do that often enough over the years with other groups. Why give non cyclists the excuse to do so with us ?

. I have had eggs thrown at me, buckets of water emptied over me, and abuse screamed at me.
I have had eggs thrown at me, a full bottle of drink poured at me from a bridge, stone thrown at my head...

All of these whilst in my convertible car whilst the roof was down in London and not on my bike. No life threatening but the stone was thrown at force at me and could have hurt.

I've given up caring about it. Some people won't change and as long i use the road appropriately it won't be my fault. I can't tell you how many times i have ranted about drivers that completely disregard us as road users. Just because i ride a bike doesn't mean i don't drive a car too!!

Anyway...i will always stick up for cyclists but there are a few that give us all a bad name!

Pretty much this. Fuggedahbahdid. Don't let them live in your head rent-free.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The former is an issue because it colours the rest of societies perception of cyclists as a group of people who feel that the laws of the land were written for others to obey....I'm not the greatest fan of ignorant people tarring with a broad brush. I've see you do that often enough over the years with other groups. Why give non cyclists the excuse to do so with us ?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry - just had to get that out of my system.

It's a minor issue by any standards except those already confounded with prejudice and obsession. What you need to grasp is that the so-called debate about red-light jumping is not actually about red-light jumping at all, just as the helmet debate is not about helmets. Incidentally, traffic-light controls, and the laws pertaining to them, were written for others - they exist and are necessary because of motorized traffic. Which is not a reason to disobey a given signal, but it is yet another reason to engage your brain before your fingers.

Why do people hate cyclists? Because the cyclist's freedom and convenience is an ever-present reminder of the hollow promises of the ideology of the motor car; and a living, breathing, rolling refutation of the sense of superiority of the private motorist and everything he represents. Because cycling is the ultimate form of individual urban transport, and makes their addiction to their cars look stupid (the bus is the ultimate collective form, and most people are pretty unpleasant about buses and their passengers as well). Because cycling is transgressive, joyous, liberating, sociable, useful, cheap. Because we are happier, healthier and more attractive than they are, and better lovers. Because we don't need them or their approval. Because they are bitter and unhappy and are prisoners of their own stunted imaginations. Because they want to break the same laws that some of us do, but can't...

Linford

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry - just had to get that out of my system.

It's a minor issue by any standards except those already confounded with prejudice and obsession. What you need to grasp is that the so-called debate about red-light jumping is not actually about red-light jumping at all, just as the helmet debate is not about helmets. Incidentally, traffic-light controls, and the laws pertaining to them, were written for others - they exist and are necessary because of motorized traffic. Which is not a reason to disobey a given signal, but it is yet another reason to engage your brain before your fingers.

Why do people hate cyclists? Because the cyclist's freedom and convenience is an ever-present reminder of the hollow promises of the ideology of the motor car; and a living, breathing, rolling refutation of the sense of superiority of the private motorist and everything he represents. Because cycling is the ultimate form of individual urban transport, and makes their addiction to their cars look stupid (the bus is the ultimate collective form, and most people are pretty unpleasant about buses and their passengers as well). Because cycling is transgressive, joyous, liberating, sociable, useful, cheap. Because we are happier, healthier and more attractive than they are, and better lovers. Because we don't need them or their approval. Because they are bitter and unhappy and are prisoners of their own stunted imaginations. Because they want to break the same laws that some of us do, but can't...

You might consider it minor to break the laws of the roads, but then bitch and moan about others doing it....If you want to live outside the law, then don't be surprised if the rest of society holds what you consider dear in contempt !

theclaud

Openly Marxist
You might consider it minor to break the laws of the roads, but then bitch and moan about others doing it....If you want to live outside the law, then don't be surprised if the rest of society holds what you consider dear in contempt !

Oh do get a grip and respond to what I actually write. I haven't said anything at all about my relationship (as an individual) to the law. But it's obvious to anyone with half a brain that motorists are not more law abiding than cyclists as a group - they break the law in huge numbers wherever they can get away with it. Speed limits, anyone? They like to go on about cyclist RLJers when they're stuck two cars back in the queue, but it's a different story when they find themselves at the front just after the lights change.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I seem to be having conversations with so many people recently that start off something like "Oh, you cycle. You must be really fit. Your not one of those lycra louts are you?" or "my wife hates cyclists" or "they go to fast/slow etc....". You know the the rest....

The conversation tends to start well, but then decends into lots of annecdotes about red light jumpers and "them" taking up all the road etc...

I have found it emmotionally draining trying to have a rational discussion about it at times and was wondering if it was just me? It is nearly always a non-cylist though on further thought.

DITTO BIG TIME

To a man/woman they all try to be polite then dig the knife in. Instantly I am faced with telling them the holy truth or being polite to maintain relations. Frankly I'd rather just cease negotiations and let them go through life in blissfull ignorance of their peasantry.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm guessing theclaud isn't a car owning cyclist

If I'm going to be pedantic, theclaud is a pig-shaped fiction on a cycling forum and you only have her word for it that she rides a bike. But should you choose to believe what she says, her author has owned only one car in her life and doesn't intend to own another. She drives a van occasionally for work.

Brains

Legendary Member
A chap at our church is an 'anti' and seems to always want to come and find us for a rant. I have pointed out that road tax does not exist and that the car is not the be all and end all of life. He calls cyclists 'cockroaches' and says that its his mission to do close passes and scare cyclists off the road. I suggested that was not a terribly Christian attitude and had he not got to the bits in the bible that talk about tolerance.

He has nearly had us off a couple of times when leaving church. His rants though can be heard clear across the coffee room.
Sounds like a normal churchgoer to me. The least Christian person I unfortunately have to deal with from time to time is a pillar of the local church, goes off to Africa and helps orphans and yet goes out of her way to disrupt the local Scout group and it's 200 kids. I firmly belive she is actually a worshiper of Satan and is bent on corrupting all the poor orphans in Africa. As for cyclists, given her attitude to all other things, we should all be hung after being drawn and quartered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom