Why doesn't everyone have one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All this talk of Decathlon watches reminds me of how useful mine is;

big_0291d003-e513-42ed-a024-26fe4ee7f646.jpg

Attachments

• big_0291d003-e513-42ed-a024-26fe4ee7f646.jpg
    big_0291d003-e513-42ed-a024-26fe4ee7f646.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 16

byegad

Legendary Member
I don't regularly wear a watch. I have two wrist watches and a pocket watch. But wear/carry one about twice a year. A watch was essential during my working life, but I retired in 2006 and won't wear one now except when one is essential for keeping an appointment. I spent too much of my life marching to an imposed rhythm and now do things to my own.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I took my watch off in the shower this morning, and it occurred to me that I probably haven't taken it off at all for a few months. In my opinion (and obviously I accept there are others) it's the perfect watch - it is accurate, it's waterproof, it's solar powered, it has hands for the time and a digital display for other stuff (the date, usually, but also a stopwatch which I use occasionally), it wasn't expensive so you can wear it without worrying, and it is always correct because it sets itself. I honestly can't think what else you might want a watch to do, apart from somehow impress other people who are impressed by things simply by virtue of their cost. But for a watch to just wear day to day, I think it's unbeatable.

What items do you own that are just so perfect for their intended use that you wonder why anyone would buy an alternative?

Can you link here what watch you have please? it sounds like just the job. I've had various £30 - £40 watches in the past and none of them have lasted.

I took my watch off in the shower this morning, and it occurred to me that I probably haven't taken it off at all for a few months.

Do you only take it off for a shower?

I can't wear a watch because I have to use rotating things like table saws on occasion.

I think my own "Can't do without" would be my Xtracycle. It's given us so much more flexibility as a car-free family that we didn't have before.

Like a lot of woodworkers I also wouldn't be without my Stanley #4 plane.

Jimidh

Veteran
I like a nice watch - I have a couple moderately expensive ones and a few cheapos and switch between them as the mood suits.

I don’t wear them to impress others but to please myself.

Likewise I like nice shoes but I can’t afford many as my wife is like Imelda Marcos and spends all our money in hers!!

Drago

Legendary Member
My CAT mobile phone. 3 - 4 week battery life, indestructible by any sensible measure, don't have to worry about getting it wet.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru

colly

Re member eR
Haven't worn a watch in over 20 years, so 20th Century
Me either, probably not for 30 odd years.
No other reason than whilst working I was always scratching them, snapping the strap or breaking the face. Can't abide one on my wrist now.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Haven't worn a watch in over 20 years, so 20th Century

Me neither.
I only got back into them after leaving my self employed work in 2016
Watch while using a concrete breaker shovel etc was a pain literally..
Plus the obvious danger of it getting snagged on stuff..

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
As posted on the kitchen stuff thread, I would never be without my Rex. The perfect potato peeler, Swiss made, and only £2.95, delivered! A joy to use, every day. (Well, assuming you're having potatoes.)

Top Bottom