Why don't Decathlon do mail order?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

I just find it a bit strange, that's all.

You would think there would be a huge amount of business to be had for them there, despite the initial cost of setting up an eCommerce based part of their website.

Looking for a Tacx Flow trainer just now and they have the best price in the UK but I can't mail order one and there's not one near me so it's a hell of a hike for me to get there.

If they had mail order available, I would have parted with my hard earned readies already.

It just doesn't make sound business sense to me, but they must have a reason for not doing it I suppose?.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
There's no need - they have branch in every decent sized town.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Tim Bennet. said:
There's no need - they have branch in every decent sized town.

They have 6 stores in the UK, hardly every decent size town is it !

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Strange, as I said.

I run a web design and development business and although an eCommerce based site can be initially expensive to set up, the revenue generated from such a site soon offsets the initial investment.

I just find it strange that such a large and succesfull company such as Decathlon haven't went down this road yet.

Web based sales for the majority of cycling kit suppliers account for a massive portion of their annual revenue.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Patience! Their business plan is to have a branch in every decent sized town. They've managed it in much of Europe and I guess will continue to expand in the UK. With so much stuff that needs 'trying on' for size, I'm glad they haven't abandoned a physical presence in town.

jay clock

Massive member
Agreed, strange, but they do not do it in any countries that I am aware of. I went today to London specially for a browse (70 miles away) and spent £100 - £40 on a nice pair of bib longs, and various running socks, tops etc

yello

Oddly, I thought they did web order here in France.... on some bits anyway. Feel sure I've seen it.... maybe not.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Has anyone ever been to one in France ? I have passed dozens, but Mrs C doesn't think looking round cycle stuff is a good way to spend a holiday. :sad:

Off skiing to the Pyrenees next month and from past experience 50% of the clothes, bags, goggles everyone will be wearing will be Quechua.

yello

There are a bit hit-and-miss in France, stocks wise. Our local one (Chateauroux) can look pretty sad with pretty limited stocks sometimes (we're talking comparatively here! it's still light years ahead of any other stockist here!). The Limoges one is better. It probably depends on the size of the town/area they're situated in.

Quechua is good stuff. Well made and affordable. It's not just skiing gear either, a lot of walking/hiking stuff has the label too.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I've been to loads in France. The range of products they stock does vary considerably with where they are. You obviously get a better range of mountaineering gear in the stores near the Alps and sailing near the coast, etc.

I've also bought thermals, over trousers and over shoes at one during a cycle tour of Brittany when the weather turned unseasonably crap. Knowing they're there means you don't have to carry stuff for every conceivable eventuality. Just be careful of Sundays and Bank Holidays - the French still have this ludicrous idea that people can find something to do on these days without going shopping! How uncivilised can you get?

dodgy

Tim Bennet. said:
Patience! Their business plan is to have a branch in every decent sized town. They've managed it in much of Europe and I guess will continue to expand in the UK. With so much stuff that needs 'trying on' for size, I'm glad they haven't abandoned a physical presence in town.

Their UK stores are mahoosive! I doubt if they will emulate that in 'every decent sized town', they'll have to be a lot less ambitious than that I reckon. It looks to me that they've decided to target several towns with very large stores, the one in Stockport really is huge.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
dodgy said:
Their UK stores are mahoosive! I doubt if they will emulate that in 'every decent sized town', they'll have to be a lot less ambitious than that I reckon. It looks to me that they've decided to target several towns with very large stores, the one in Stockport really is huge.
You should go to Canada Water/Surrey Quay that is so big there are 2. One with bikes and ski/treking stuff and the other with everything else. Each one is nearly a big as the Lakeside one.

JonoB

Über Member
yello said:
Oddly, I thought they did web order here in France.... on some bits anyway. Feel sure I've seen it.... maybe not.
They're everywhere in France (as they are a French company). If you check out the French website http://www.decathlon.fr/ you will realise that
Nouveau

Achetez en ligne
Buy on line and NEW. Gives the game away somewhat. It is just a waiting game until we get it here. Hooray!...... .and will save us Scots a trip down to Stockport (Branches in England only!!)

JOno

Top Bottom