Why don't some people like being passed??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
Went out for a wee tootle today and as I progressed, I saw another lone figure in front of me. I wasn`t worried about catching him but did so very quickly indeed. So, I shouted a warning and passed him. However, almost before I had pulled in again, I heard the click of gears and he immediately passed me again!

Now, was he upset because I had passed his shiny all singing/dancing machine on my grubby £150 MTB that I use in the winter?

I sat on his wheel for a bit and passed him again only for the same thing to happen. I decided to do the same again because I thought it would be a laugh but as he passed me a third time, he growled "you`re beginning to p*ss me off". So the fourth time I passed him, I dropped him!

Michael86

It's called being competitive.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I view cycling as exercise. If I get passed because I'm dawdling, it serves to wake me up

That said, you "shouted a warning"? And then you sat on his wheel? That would probably piss me off too

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush

Sunny Portrush

Veteran
Well, it was hardly a shout, just a warning to let him know I was there and passing him and I only sat on his wheel for about 100 yds as I had to pass him again he was going so slow

Hip Priest

Veteran
I passed some bloke and his wife who were pootling along a suburban street.

He shouted after me , We've done miles you know, she's knackered and he kept shouting stuff as I got further away from him as quickly as I could.

Ha. I was out training in HR zone 2 earlier this year, and kept getting passed. I felt like shouting "Oi! I can go faster than this y'know!" but I didn't. You have to keep it in check.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Fair enough. I doubt I would have bothered though, unless the path was particularly narrow

Some people are just weird, though. I once had much the same sentiment expressed to me by a cyclist I was rollerskating behind who was upset he couldn't drop me

Top Bottom