Why not keep your mudguards on all year round?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Two of my bikes have mudguards (one chromoplastics, one cruds), two don't

I'm using the steelie with the proper mudguards currently

Old jon

Guru
Dunno what the bike looks like when I am riding it, and aye, the mudguards stay on year all round.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The small metal stay connectors used to be made from stainless steel, but are now really soft metal, you can snap them by over-tightening with a short spanner.
I had one bridge break recently due to carrying the bike on the car roof. The wind caused the mudguard to flutter, and fatigued and broke the bridge. It's now held in place with indestructible cable ties.

There too brittle on a road bike, leave them too long and they won't be there when you really need them.
Mine have lasted nearly 8 years, granted I don't do the mileage you do, but I can put in some distance compared with many, and they are on pretty much all the time.

@Jimidh It could be argued the opposite, I prefer the look of mine with.

pedaler

I take mine off in the spring and pop an ass-saver into the backbag for rainy days of the summer :okay:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I keep them on the Tricross all year round, current set I've done 28,000 miles with them and had to change one bracket on the rear. The rear is showing signs of wear now and I think it will need replacing this year

aguppy

I hate mine been on....however they will stay on till the weather finally improves:rain:

Mine have lasted nearly 8 years, granted I don't do the mileage you do, but I can put in some distance compared with many, and they are on pretty much all the time.

@Jimidh It could be argued the opposite, I prefer the look of mine with.
Ive never had more than 3 seasons out of SKS Blumels in Scotland where surfaces are cr@p (by the 2nd year they'll be heavily duct taped together), they do get exposed to high speed and reasonable distance though :-/

Both the fixed and the geared bike have mudguards on all the time (plus Brooks saddles and Carradice saddlebags :tongue: ) both get ridden all year round , I have a 653 steel framed bike hanging in the garage with no mudguard eyes or clearance for guards that occasionally comes out in summer but in all honesty I don't give mudguards much thought in all honesty .

Paul

Top Bottom