Why not keep your mudguards on all year round?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Never really seen the point of having a go at people for turning up without mudguards. Why not just ask them to ride at the back if it starts raining mid ride?
On our club rides they do. But at this time of year the roads are seldom dry, puddle free, or clean. Summer rain is less unfriendly than the stuff we've had recently, the roads are cleaner, farmers aren't spreading sh1t all over the fields and lanes. So 2 bikes - wet weather with permanent guards, and dry weather, without.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Never really seen the point of having a go at people for turning up without mudguards. Why not just ask them to ride at the back if it starts raining mid ride?
This was discussed to death on 'yet another mudguard thread' here recently.
I really don't care either way. 9 of us went out in the wet last Sarurday, some with mudguards, some without and some had mudguards that were to short to be of much value. Nobody complained.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
If I had a touring bike, they would stay on, without doubt.

But my single speed is too pretty for rain and the road bike looks like a tractor with them fitted (as they are)

Its all about the aesthetic for me!

Actually, winter rain, or rather winter wet roads are a pain. Thick with grime and grease, mud and salt.

Summer wet roads are not as messy and in may ways cleaner on your clothes (up your back).

Only a proper downpour in the summer leaves me wanting for guards...which is rare. Whereas every wet ride in the winter makes me glad I have them fitted.

The future of mudguarding..?

stebles-bike-prototype.jpg

road.cc

Top Bottom