Why not keep your mudguards on all year round?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you been east of it, I travel the whole country and nothing compares with them.
I've only been into the Wolds once (the city sportive). Its nice area IIRC :becool: Most of Lincs cycling has been in the Bourne, Grantham, Long Bennington corridor and a few areas east of that for leisure. Seems there's lots of friendly little lanes :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

All my bike have mudguards on, I don't take them off.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If you think I'm putting mudguards on the titanium superbike then you clearly do not understand the concept of a titanium superbike.

Other bike has 'em all year round.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Some of the group i go out with on a Wednesday say they can't wait till the clocks go forward so they can take the mudguards off their bikes. Why, does it stop raining then till the clocks go back in October? i ask.:rolleyes: I've been pulled up for turning up on a bike without mudguards, even on a dry winter's day. Why does it have to be so methodical? We get rain in spring and summer so does that not count because it's warmer rain splashing up from the wheels? I try and judge the weather before a ride then either use a bike with guards or not. I don't automatically stop using mudguards in the spring then automatically put them on in the autumn. Infact why don't we keep them on all year round? They weigh very little and they're there if caught out in a summer downpour!
Just because we are cyclists, it does not imply we have brains and can think methodically about these things.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Surely the joy of a riding a lightweight, simple and uncluttered bike is something we can all agree on?
For some getting wet is a worthwhile trade-off for cycling purity.

Mudguards while useful do add weight, vibration, occasionally get snagged, sometimes loosen and do add drag etc etc. You stay a bit dryer and the bike stays a bit cleaner.

What does it matter what others do? Vive la difference!

Ps: getting wet and occasionally cruddy is part of the year round regular cyclists lot. Suck it up.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My commuter has gaurds that have been on constantly for 7 years.

On my road bike I usually take off in summer if i can be arsed and summer rain and cowshit is just as unpleasant .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Surely the joy of a riding a lightweight, simple and uncluttered bike is something we can all agree on?
For some getting wet is a worthwhile trade-off for cycling purity.
Cycling purity? If purity is such a concern, why not ride an ordinary, rather than these newfangled safety bicycles with their unnecessary complicated and heavy chain?

Far better is: as simple as it needs to be and no simpler.

Mudguards while useful do add weight, vibration, occasionally get snagged, sometimes loosen and do add drag etc etc. You stay a bit dryer and the bike stays a bit cleaner.
Usually minimal weight, I think this year was the first time I snagged one and everything loosens on the rough roads around here (most recently, my kick stand - before that, my dynamo kept switching itself on because its bolt had come loose) so it's only a few extra bolts to check on my regular maintenance.

And the bike stays a lot cleaner. Someone I know has little choice but to give their rear-guard-only bike a deep clean after almost every ride, while I can often just clean the forks and stays.

What does it matter what others do? Vive la difference!

It matters when they're splattering all other cyclists with the crud they kick up. That's just rude and antisocial. That may not be a concern if you ride somewhere with few other cyclists, but even then, plastering one of those few with crud isn't going to encourage them or others to cycle, is it?

Ps: getting wet and occasionally cruddy is part of the year round regular cyclists lot. Suck it up.
The main time I get cruddy is when the flipping motorists have worn a dip in a road, it fills with water and junk and then other motorists drive through it instead of around it while I'm nearby. It doesn't happen that often and I'd still prefer it didn't. I don't need other cyclists adding to the crud-shower opportunities.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cycling purity? If purity is such a concern, why not ride an ordinary, rather than these newfangled safety bicycles with their unnecessary complicated and heavy chain?

Far better is: as simple as it needs to be and no simpler.

Usually minimal weight, I think this year was the first time I snagged one and everything loosens on the rough roads around here (most recently, my kick stand - before that, my dynamo kept switching itself on because its bolt had come loose) so it's only a few extra bolts to check on my regular maintenance.

And the bike stays a lot cleaner. Someone I know has little choice but to give their rear-guard-only bike a deep clean after almost every ride, while I can often just clean the forks and stays.

It matters when they're splattering all other cyclists with the crud they kick up. That's just rude and antisocial. That may not be a concern if you ride somewhere with few other cyclists, but even then, plastering one of those few with crud isn't going to encourage them or others to cycle, is it?

The main time I get cruddy is when the flipping motorists have worn a dip in a road, it fills with water and junk and then other motorists drive through it instead of around it while I'm nearby. It doesn't happen that often and I'd still prefer it didn't. I don't need other cyclists adding to the crud-shower opportunities.
We clearly cycle in very different worlds ....

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Never really seen the point of having a go at people for turning up without mudguards. Why not just ask them to ride at the back if it starts raining mid ride?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Seemingly so. I hadn't realised that Mudguard zealots even existed. I must pay attention.
Simon had some pretty zealous anti-mudguard writings in his Fridays info. So it would make sense that there are zealots on the pro side too.

Me, there's no way I'm removing my mudguards for no good reason whatever, knowing what a godawful faff it is to put them on and get them lined up in the first place. On those grounds, I will firmly resist any anti-mudguardites.

Top Bottom