Wife has agreed to let me have a dog! now trying to decide what breed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Why do you think this? What do you base this on? What do you mean by looking for dominance?

Experience and no I am not about to debate the whole current arguments about if this believe continues to be true after someone decided that they might not be.

I used the tern wrestling as the OP had given that as an example, I could use "play fighting" if you would like or assertiveness.

I have worked in rescue, I protested & I joined in the Educate Don't Legislate & Ban The Deed Not The Breed campaigns with Domino & Our Dogs when Germany introduced DDL with their stupid tests in response to the death of Volkan Kaja and wanted those laws to be adopted across the EU, my dogs at the time fitted into their height/weight scale (Labradors). I have sat in cages with dogs all night waiting for them to make that human contact, I have raided puppy farms and I have comforted the living and buried the dead. I have been around dogs all my life and had a variety of breeds, I have puppy trained for hearing dogs.

When I say dominance I mean vying for their place in the pack.

MichaelM

Guru
Experience and no I am not about to debate the whole current arguments about if this believe continues to be true after someone decided that they might not be.

You're not prepared to reflect, to consider the possibility that actually what you've been doing in the past might not be the best way? I can't understand why you wouldn't want to discuss it.

When I say dominance I mean vying for their place in the pack.

Place in the pack? What pack? What do you mean by that? It's nonsense.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I can't understand why you wouldn't want to discuss it.

Err because I have no interest in getting into a debate with someone about it on a cycling forum, I gave my opinion to the OP based on my experience, other opinions are available, if you want to argue thoughts on dog training/behaviour go to CAD or better still a dog forum.

Have a nice day.
bye.gif

MichaelM

Guru
Err because I have no interest in getting into a debate with someone about it on a cycling forum, I gave my opinion to the OP based on my experience, other opinions are available, if you want to argue thoughts on dog training/behaviour go to CAD or better still a dog forum.

Have a nice day.
bye.gif

Might be better in future to refrain from commenting so as to avoid the spread of such misinformation.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Staffies are fine.

I wouldn't get a dog from a re-homing centre in your situation because you can never fully know the dog's history,

Really?
I get to go to a fair few shelters and see far too many Staffies in them. Quite often only 4 or 5 months old and they have been stuck into rescue as the owner 'hasn't got time' (the usual reason). A nice young Staffie, still a pup really might well be the way to go if your heart is set of a Staffie.

Not that long ago, I was clipping nails of lots of dogs from a large intake and there were 2 Staffie bitches, one about to whelp and one who just had so there were 8 puppies that would be ready in 8 weeks and then an unknown amount that would be ready in 8 1/2 weeks. The shelters do have puppies quite often. You just need to be lucky when you visit. As I have said, there are generally a lot of youngsters there, under 6 months old.

I spent the afternoon phoning local rescue centers, but unfortunately without much luck, all but one turned me away due to having a small child :sad: I'll be honest though,

It is a bad time of year (close to xmas), on the one hand rescues want to home the dogs, on the other they don't want it bringing back in 2 months time. It is a shame though that many rescues do see to set the bar too high, won't rehome with small children, won't rehome if both partners work, will only rehome within a catchment area. On the other hand a rescue that just hands dogs out at the door isn't exactly reassuring either. If you both work full time expect to be refused at every turn unless you have a plan in place for one of you to go home at lunch.

the thought of getting a rescue dog does make me a bit nervous but I will be going along and having a good chat with the staff and meeting some possible dogs.

Without trying to persuade you to give a sighthound a home, a rescued hound is slightly different to your average mutt in the pound, in general it will have had a regime, and a known history, especially as there are hundreds of dedicated rescues that deal purely with the single breed. So the rescue knows the breed intimately, knows the dogs intimately and will be better placed to match a hound to your circumstances, and be able to tell you instantly and truthfully if you are suitable to home a hound. For instance you will have to be willing to sit on the floor so the hound can have the sofa.

Whatever breed you decide to home I would recommend trying to find a rescue that is breed specific if it is your first pooch then the rescue will be in a much stronger position to advise you, a puppy dealer is after your cash a rescue is after a home for a dog!

Edit: Reading you are now considering a heinz :thumbsup: Just try and find a rescue that knows the dogs in their care especially if you aren't particularly dog savvy yourself. Any that say they won't home to a family with small children or any that say any dog in their care can be yours, walk away from;)

Last edited:

ceejayh

I'll second the choice of Tibetan Terrier.

My sister has 2 of them and they have the most wonderful temperament.

They're a good medium size dog and very sociable.

486239_542656052418980_1718948434_n1_zps3c9e210a.jpg

We have loads of Lurchers , all rescued . Great with kids , walks consist of going doolaley for 5 minutes and they only need a comfy
sofa. All shapes and sizes but all soppy. Checkout www.southernlurcherrescue.co.uk
:wub:

Herbie

Veteran
Hi - My better half finally caved in and agreed to let me get a dog, which myself and our 3 kids are super happy about. Anyway this decision has opened a can of worms... and that is the 'what breed' can. It's proving tricky to agree on what we want/need/should get, so I'm turning to the dog owning folks here at cyclechat for some advice and thoughts.

So far we have a couple of breeds in mind... well I have one breed in mind, my wife isn't happy with my choice.
I love staffy's, always have. I've know loads and really like them, but they have a bad rep (yes its miss placed) which makes my OH a bit nervous, despite all of the info (from people who actually know what they are talking about rather than the daily mail and here say) out there to prove that they are fantastic dogs... 20 years ago they were the most popular family dog.

Anyway we have 3 kids and 4 cats and a big garden, live in the country by the woods and the beach and lead pretty outdoorsy lives. my wife wants a dog that doesn't malt or shed hair much, I dont want a long haired dog either or one of those labradoodle/cockapoo fluffy little old lady dogs. We want something robust enough to deal with a strong 4 year old boy and long walks in the woods and on the beach or moor's with the family, basically a robust strong dog with a good temperament and a zest for life.

Sooooo we are looking at the a few options, they are:
staffy,
lab
or maybe a staff lab x.

Anyone got any thoughts on the above or suggestions of other dogs?

Many thanks

Go for a Collie...they well cool...this is my pooch....though hes a lab collie cross...a top dog for your location and your kids
IMG_1677.JPG

MichaelM

Guru
Sorry but you are very rude , and the op was not a forum for you anger . I have worked lived , cared ,nursed healed all animals , and you sir are the one talking rot .

You are of course referring to my comments aimed at Puddles.

Puddles commented with regards to dominance in dogs but wouldn't expand further other than to say it was based on his own experience. Not only is the concept of "dominance" and "place in the pack" misinformed, but can be harmful both to the dog and owner.

Imagine a dog that growls if the owner gets too close to it's food bowl. Those who subscribe to dominance "theory" would claim the dog is being dominant (others including myself would say he's resource guarding), and the way to solve this is to let the dog know his place and to assert your rank over the dog... by taking his food off him.

You may get away with that with a smaller, less confident dog, try it with a German Shepherd/Belgian Shepherd, Rottweiler etc and you'll come off second best, the dog will be "known" as a biter and most likely end up being PTS.

The idea of "letting a dog know its place" is also often behind the mistreatment of many a dog - and that's why I challenged Puddles over his comments.

Talking rot? I could write a brief overview of the history behind dominance theory if you are genuinely intrested.

Bet your rubbish on a bike as well.

How did you know...

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Place in the pack? What pack? What do you mean by that? It's nonsense.

Really?

Its you, the family..... A dog will substitute the humans and possibly other animals around it in place of other dogs becuase they need structure, they need to have a place, its basic Canine Psychology and has nothing about asserting your dominance or even being violent to a dog, etc as you seem to allude too. Its about doing it in a non agressive manner.
Our dogs have always been treated as equals, but at the same time, they clearly can't always be equal and have to know when they are being trained or shut out a room for some reason or something similar. I doubt dogs have ever really grasped Hippyish ideas like no dicipline TBH.

Of course, being the hand that feeds also helps! :whistle:

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I am always put off from getting a dog from a rescue home, mainly because some dogs are there for a reason i.e. behavioural issues and the likes.

That's why you ask the staff about the dogs, what I have been saying all along! FFS!

Really, I defy you to find a more sound and stable dog as Bruno was and one that is clearly as intelligent and eager to please as Cindy is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom