Wiggle's being sold....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
....for £180-200m to the owners of Pret a Manger and Fat Face. They apparently sold us £86m worth of cycling stuff last year.

I remember a small shop in in Southsea, then they had two guys with a computer and stock control, then decided to do mail order

When they moved to a bigger premise these guys started internet ordering, and it has grown from there!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm not surprised - my students are studying Pret next week as a case and they're bike enthusiasts.
The people behind Pret are not the people taking over wiggle, who are a firm of private equity investors (http://www.bridgepoint.eu/our-team-values/our-team). They own everything from a firm of debt collectors to an airport - Pret and Fatface are just the only companies anyone who reads the Telegraph will have heard of.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 1631765, member: 45"]I say 18 months before they hit the high st.
[/quote]
I disagree. Looking at the list of investments made by the private equity firm (http://www.bridgepoint.eu/current-investments), there's no bias towards high-street retail, and no obvious strategy of cross-investment fertilisation.

It's far more likely that wiggle's current managers have a business plan which involves more of what they're good at (internet-based retailing), perhaps branching out into different countries. Why branch out into the (dying) High Street when you're good at the internet?

One other possibility for expansion might be for wiggle to provide the internet face of a high-street store which can't do it itself, in the same way that they provide the CTC shop. (A large French-based retailer springs to mind...)

Blue

Legendary Member
Maybe they will open shops in 'out of town' retail parks. CRC have done that in Belfast.

gavintc

Guru
Personally, I see no need for them to have a shop presence. They have found their niche and are serving it well. Moving into a new market will bring fresh risks and fresh costs for limited additional exposure to the costumers. In the current market, I would recommend them to do what they know - and to continue to do it well.

Blue

Legendary Member
It is possible that increasing competition in their existing market sector is limiting expansion plans and so forcing them look to other areas. They must want the fresh capital for something, unless they are just taking a profit and jumping ship.

Top Bottom