Wild Atlantic Way Audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What does 175 hours (elapsed) mean?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I did my one and only 300k audax earlier this year. I finished with barely an hour to spare then took it easy for about a week.

The thought of doing 7 x 300s back to back over hilly terrain plus the odd mountain to cross fills me with awe for those who can do it or even willing to attempt it.

I would love to do the ride but as a month long tour.

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
I did my one and only 300k audax earlier this year. I finished with barely an hour to spare then took it easy for about a week.

The thought of doing 7 x 300s back to back over hilly terrain plus the odd mountain to cross fills me with awe for those who can do it or even willing to attempt it.

I would love to do the ride but as a month long tour.

well you have done one 300 km so just a 400 km and a 600 km to get your eye in then your ready for longer rides :okay:

Paul

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
Entry confirmed so I need to sort some serious training out , at the minimum I will need to do 300km a day for 7 days and obviously the faster I can do that the more sleep I can get :bicycle:

Paul

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
Draft route is out and is going to be route checked at the end of April , I'm starting to get a little nervous now .
WAW Audax.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Mamore Gap
"The Mamore Gap, Co Donegal...an iconic Irish climb which is featured on the final leg of the WAW. Leaving Buncrana by the sea you begin a gradual climb past Linsfoort and its pretty RC church (stop here to seek spiritual assistance before tackling Mamore!). Then head on along the route of the Inishowen 100, drop down past Dunree Fort and its beautiful beach before again climbing to the left handed turn which takes you onto the Mamore stretching to the sky above.. Ascending Mamore for the first one kilometer, the gradient is between 14% and 17%. After the small bridge, woman/man and bike are tested as the climb flirts with 20 to 22% for the next 1/2 kilo. The top is now soon attained and after you crest, dip down past the grotto (here care is needed on the descent as the road winds narrowly and steeply) and catch the breath-taking view of Leenane Bay.. Take flat roads past thatch roofed cottages before arriving in Clonmany with Carn and Malin Head not that far ahead."

Mark Moroney

(And that's the easy side).

classic33

Leg End Member
The Mamore gap is at 1992 km , easy is not a word I'm likely to be thinking of after 6 days in the saddle but thanks for the reminder :rolleyes:

:okay: ^_^ Paul
I've cycled with the fella who made that comment. Couldn't miss that one out.

Few runs up to Queensbury, from the City centre should help.

Best o'luck though.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I will be following you Paul.

Remember, when it gets touch. You are not alone :O)

Have a great ride. You must be barking mad.

Top Bottom