Will a 3 speed shifter work with a 2 speed front derailleur / chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
I want to convert a 9 speed road bike to flat bars and have some 3 X 9 acera shifters. I wondered if they would work for a 2 speed front set up?

Not easily, maybe not at all. What groupset is currently fitted? It may well be that the rd shifter will be fine, it's always more difficult to mix and match up front, particularly between road and mtb groupsets.
Edit: of course, you could put a triple up front!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
They should do. Set them up so the 2 rings are 2-3 positions on the shifters otherwise you risk trying to force the locked out 3rd shift and breaking the shifter.

However, the front derailleur will have a different cable pull so you will have to replace that with a mtb one.

Madcycli5t

First of all ,are you sure you don't need those lower gears . if the gear changer lower screw is set to hold the chain on what was the middle ring of three rather than the lower ring of two I don't think you would have any problem.

Reactions: C R
Fair comment I believe it is Sora
Ok, I've done this, with an 8-speed Sora. The Acera right-hand shifter should work fine. If you search, you may find proper Sora flat shifters, they certainly existed for 8-speed, and there were versions for double and triple chainrings.
If you search "sora 2x9 flat bar shifters" you will get what you need, but they will require separate brake levers. These are not difficult to find at all.

Steeler

Über Member
Yeah, I've used a front flat bar triple shifter on a double FD & chainset before, think it was a Tiagra 4600 series set up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom