Will Garmin hub speed sensor be affected by Magnet in turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As I'm unable to get out on the road these last two months I borrowed a Turbo trainer from my son I have a Garmin Edge 800 with speed sensor on the rear wheel hub and a cadence sensor on the crank The cadence sensor works ok but no speed shows. Or when I uploaded details from the Garmin after doing a half hour session it only showed I'd done 0.9 of a mile would this be because I'd not switched the GPS setting off.
Please anybody got any thoughts on this would grateful Thanks Antnee

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My Wahoo Snap worked ok without a problem with a similar scenario. When it did have problems it was from interference from another Bluetooth device. Namely my daughter’s Kindle Fire. I had to get her to switch BT off until my turbo, cadence and HRM had paired. Then she could carry on.

Maybe something in the room or house is interfering with your signal.

Well the only other thing I'd got on me was my smart phone which was connected to the internet even though the garage (where I was is about 10 metres and two brick walls away from the hub) so I will try what you suggest and perhaps not have the phone on me but on the workbench and disconnect from the hub .

Nebulous

Guru
I'd say its unlikely the magnet in your turbo is causing any problems. The signal from the speed sensor is more problematic than the cadence one as it has further to go, with more bulk in the way blocking it. You need to try and diagnose what's going on by a process of elimination.

The speed and cadence sensor both flash green when you start to show the battery is good. They flash red when the battery is getting low - check for a green light first. Then check the garmin recognises the sensor and says it is paired. I'd definitely put the GPS off. My Garmin 1000 has three distinct profiles, train, race and indoors. To switch off GPS I simply change it to indoors mode.

thanks for that, I'd forgot to mention that as the speed sensor worked earlier in the year I've got to admit I haven't checked the battery will have a look at that later though can't at the moment as other things are more pressing I have now found the GPS off mode in system settings.
will put new battery in anyway as it must have been in there 12 months at least.

well put a new battery in the speed sensor this morning and worked the pedals by hand to see if the sensor would pick up to no avail and now it seems that I haven't any cadence sensor function either! With Edge 800 garmin... Though the little speed icon is flashing on and off on the Garmin find sensors page! I've looked at the Garmin official manuel and its not the easiest manual to follow found another web site by a bloke called frank Kinlan all about the Garmin 800 edge ( dummies guide to the garmin edge) which seems to tally with the one I have and its in simpler to under stand but how to log actual miles and speed remains a complete mystery to me. Perhaps its on its way out though it works fine when usiing it for following a route So I'm at a loos I don't want to have to get another one as they don't come cheap if I were to upgrade ant thoughts anybody Cheers Antnee

Nebulous

Guru
On my Garmin the cadence sensor only pairs in the period when the Garmin is first switched on. So if I put on the Garmin and stand chatting to someone for a couple of minutes before starting to pedal it wont pick up the sensor. Here are instructions about changing the battery. After you changed the battery did the light on the sensor flash green when you turned the pedals?

If the sensors were paired already they shouldn't have lost their pairing unless the Garmin was reset. Switch on the Garmin, turn the pedals and see if you get green lights on the sensors, wait to see if they pair successfully, and if not try to find and pair them from the Garmin.

Hello Nebulous well Thanks for the instructions on changing the battery which I've done though Forgive me if I didn't mention that the Garmin that I have is an Edge 800 and as to having a green and red light for low battery and flashing green when its replaced I can't see any thing like that on the 800 though I do have a little dial with a needle (speed sensor??) which flashes on and off on the search for ant and sensors its at the top of the screen in with a heart icon (this is for heart rate I suppose) then the dial after that is a chainwheel crank which I can only presume would be the cadence sensor.
So looks like I will have to just get on the bike and say do 30 mins at what is about my average pedalling speed and work the miles out from that otherwise I'm as I said in my last post am at a complete loss? Though must admit looking at your instructions for the Garmin 520 they seem far easier to understand I must say. Thanks

Nebulous

Guru
Hi Antnee - I think we're at cross purposes here. The green and red lights are on the sensor itself, not the Garmin. If it has been stopped for some time, when you start cranking the pedal there is a small LED on the sensor. It should flash green to tell you it is working ok. After a few turns the light stops. If both sensors are working and showing green lights, then move on to check the Garmin itself.

Top Bottom