Will schwalbe big apple 28x2.00 tyres fit on a whyte Stirling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rudders20

Regular
Hello, I've got a 2016 Whyte Stirling and was wondering if anybody knows if the rims will take a pair of Schwalbe Big Apple tyres (28x2.00)? I don't think that frame clearance will be an issue but wasnt sure if the rims would take such a large tyre?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

vickster

Legendary Member
Doesn't the Stirling have 700c wheels like the rest of the R7 range?

Why do you want fat tyres on a fast flat bar road bike?

OP
OP
rudders20

rudders20

Regular
and I was hoping to create a balloon style bike as I'm finding the commute to work a bit rough for my liking so was hoping the bigger tyres would help absorb some of the potholes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, but I was lead to believe that a 28" tyre will fit a 700c rim?!

That's generally correct, 700c, 28" and 29er are all the same size.

Some roadie rims are very narrow, so the beads of a podgy tyre would be pulled too close together for the installation to ride well, but the tyre would fit in other respects.

Your Whyte is a flat bar hybrid, so it's all but certain a Big Apple would work, provided there's enough clearance for it.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
and I was hoping to create a balloon style bike as I'm finding the commute to work a bit rough for my liking so was hoping the bigger tyres would help absorb some of the potholes.
Have you tried letting some air out of the tyres? Are you still on the original 28s?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Marginal, I think. They aren't generous with clearance (couldn't, for instance, get a Hyper 35 under my wife's fork on her Carnaby, had to go with a 32 front and 35 rear - my one criticism of their bikes)

OP
OP
rudders20

rudders20

Regular
Have you tried letting some air out of the tyres? Are you still on the original 28s?
Yes tried that but no real difference if any that I noticed. I think the main problem is that, up until this year I had an old mountain bike which I had big apples on, so the difference was always going to be noticeable when I made the change, I just didn't realise by how much.

OP
OP
rudders20

rudders20

Regular
I think the best bet will to be to bite the bullet and order a pair, I should be able to return them if they don't work and they've not been ridden on I'd have thought.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think the best bet will to be to bite the bullet and order a pair, I should be able to return them if they don't work and they've not been ridden on I'd have thought.

There's a decent chance Big Apples will fit, so that's a reasonable plan.

The only slight wrinkle I can foresee is your existing tubes will stretch a bit inside the larger volume tyre.

No problem if you keep the Big Apples, but if you have to go back to the existing tyres, you might find it hard to stuff in the stretched tubes without pinching them.

OP
OP
rudders20

rudders20

Regular
There's a decent chance Big Apples will fit, so that's a reasonable plan.
I'll keep that in mind if I do end up converting back, thanks.

The only slight wrinkle I can foresee is your existing tubes will stretch a bit inside the larger volume tyre.

No problem if you keep the Big Apples, but if you have to go back to the existing tyres, you might find it hard to stuff in the stretched tubes without pinching them.

Top Bottom