Will you be cycling during ambulance strikes??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Here's a diagram from 2010 showing what's likely to kill you. There were about 17,000 accidental deaths (the red splodge at about 1 o'clock on the chart. There were 96 cyclists. It might be a better better policy to sleep downstairs to reduce the risk of falls rather than stay off the bike.
View attachment 671831
Here's the link. https://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/10/28/Factfile_deaths_large.png

That is a wonderful illustration of numbers.

If you are going to be hit by a van or car stay on your bike. See the number of pedestrians killed by a van or car.

Total number sophistry, but fun.

Gwylan

Veteran
Here's a diagram from 2010 showing what's likely to kill you. There were about 17,000 accidental deaths (the red splodge at about 1 o'clock on the chart. There were 96 cyclists. It might be a better better policy to sleep downstairs to reduce the risk of falls rather than stay off the bike.
View attachment 671831
Here's the link. https://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/10/28/Factfile_deaths_large.png

Wonder if you are safer sleeping downstairs on your bike? May never make the stats that way.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't/can't cycle now due to my hip/leg problem, but if it was 5 or so years ago I'd be going out on my old cycling club's usually 50 mile Wednesday ride out later today without anymore than the usual worry. When you ride a bike you know that you're risking limb, even life. Whether an ambulance will come to your aid or not is at the back of your mind.

Last edited:
Mathematically it would be lower than most activities. The agreement they will still respond to Cat 1 life threatening cases Is there. As it is, we hear stories of pensioners lying for hours during normal times. So what exactly are we missing?

At the end of the day, a long exhilarating ride whether commuting or for pleasure comes with immense satisfaction mind and body wise even if done on near daily basis. Hard to give it up.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I've been banned from driving until the New Year (health, rather than convictions), so don't really have the choice.

But as above, I have called for an ambulance twice, and neither time was related to any of the accidents I have had whilst cycling.

Venod

Eh up
Been for a ride this morning, no ambulance required, but a broken gear cable made for an interesting 12 mile on the way home, screwed the stop screw right in so third from top gear and the front changer was OK.

Just seen this thread for the first time and read the article linked by the OP. How funny to link that article to cycling. If cycling is a contact sport for you then I suspect you're doing something wrong or the other party you're having contact with us doing something wrong :laugh:

Gwylan

Veteran
I’ve been working in the grounds of a hospital today, with a chainsaw. Don’t know where that puts me on the risk-o-meter. I wore old cycling socks, btw.

Erm? In the first percentile ahead of trawler deck hands and building trades.
Make sure the saw I sharp, does a better job.

Top Bottom