Windy today... who's going out riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently returned to cycling after many years so have never ridden in a strong wind that I can remember.

I grasp the difficulty of riding into a headwind, but are there any hazards with riding in windy conditions generally?
Very windy conditions can be a bit ropey. Anything 15mph+ can catch an inexperienced rider off guard.
Today was about 18mph winds. Gusts were WAY stronger though. A few times i got some nasty side wind action and the bike was blown a good couple of feet sideways. You just learn to stay relaxed on don't go rigid. If you are very unsure then just slow it down a bit. The faster you go the more dangerous serious cross winds become. Especially downhill.

It can be a real slog into a head wind too but rather than being a danger in any way, it is just a real pain in the arse!!

Some guys on here have cleverly mapped out their rides to go with the wind and get the train or bus back home. :laugh:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Got out for 39 miles, not to windy down this way although it did pick up a bit for the last 10 miles, i needed to do the ride today to clear my head. i feel so much better now.^_^
Merry Christmas to all of you, have a good one.:cheers:

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Just back. Erm. My bones are saturated.

Riding through flooded roads and at one point down a river as farmers were draining their field. No problem for the CX bike though.
Good news was that i nailed a 4 mile segment and nabbed the KOM. Average speed 27.2 mph on the flat. Max speed 34mph!! FLAT!! With slight gradual ascent over 4 miles!! :eek:

Slight tailwind. :whistle:

what hills did you do?

tug benson

Over at my work this morning in livingston and it was pishing down all day, when coming home about 1 o`clock we could see the sun was out over in fife i got home to alloa and the rain started again, i just left the bike and took the dogs a walk instead

Over at my work this morning in livingston and it was pishing down all day, when coming home about 1 o`clock we could see the sun was out over in fife i got home to alloa and the rain started again, i just left the bike and took the dogs a walk instead
I went out and got soaked to the bone. By the time i got home and out of the shower, the sun was out!!! :cry:

Weather forecast said it would get worse. Though they also said we were going to get a total white out again this year.

Alan57

Went out on the MTB did 20 miles to Tesco, big mistake buying frenzy in full swing only wanted milk !:rolleyes:, very grey but no wind or rain and actually a nice ride. Downside is , going to girlfriends in Cornwall for Christmas and no bike for 5 days:sad: ( on train with dog, presents and stuff) getting withdrawal symptoms already.

tug benson

Did a couple in Carse of gowrie. Do you know the area? One you might know is called "Abernyte". Around 750ft.

There are loads of hills in this area. Truly blessed i am to literally have 1000's of ft of climbing 5 minutes from my doorstep. ^_^

don`t really know the area, but i do love a good hill climb..

I just struggle a wee bit because am a bit of bigger guy, in the summer there i managed to get the weight down to 14 and a half stone and that helped improve my hill climb times, went on the scales on friday and i`ve put a stone back on so after the new year i`ll be back on it....

Am lucky that i have sheriffmuir right on my doorstep, a great place for climbs

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Went out this morning and did 28 miles. Strong wind ( 23mph I believe). I will not achieve my target this year but it doesn't matter, start again next year.

endoman

67 miles done, windy of course, a few floods and loads of gravel swept onto the roads made it lively at times. Horrid last 7 miles solo straight back into the gale. All good training though

Top Bottom