Winter bike for the Arctic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jessjesseee

Hei,

I recently moved to Tromso from the UK and I am looking to buy some suitable bikes (after selling my U.K. road bike).

Firstly, I need a bike for the winter commute. The commute will be on gravel and tarmac tracks and is pretty hilly. In the winter these tracks are "tended", meaning smoothed over and compacted ice and snow (but random lumps of ice and base tarmac will peak through). I've attached a couple of pics from late January this year when the sun came back to show you what I mean 🥶.

Looking and asking around I've been given the following advice:

• Use studded tyres for the 4- 5 months of snow and ice and get good lights (we have the polar night);
  • Get a hardtail help with the snow days. Some people use hybrid/ gravel bikes BUT if it snows and they haven't groomed the cycle paths then they suffer;
  • You wont be going super fast on the snow/ice so think less speed and more grip and maneuverability;
  • Get hydraulic brakes, any other breaks aren't going to work in the wet/ ice. Its a hilly commute so good breaks are a must;
  • The bike won't last more than 2 seasons because of all the gravel and salt, so don't get one that's too expensive;
  • Get 29” wheels to help with the peddling efficiency;
  • Carbon fiber frames are probably a bad idea because of the flying gravel; and
  • Buy from the U.K. and pay the import tax, the bike selection in Tromsø/Norway is pretty limited and expensive.
I was wondering if anyone had any more advice or disagreed with the points above? Any thoughts?

My next problem is actually finding a bike! I think, considering its only going to last a couple of winters, I need to find a sub £1000 hardtail. I will update with links when I find some I like (I’m 180 cm) :biggrin:

Later I will be investigating what I should get for some Arctic summer touring (probably a gravel bike 😆)… and not to mention the awesome fat bike opportunities in Tromsø!!! but for now... winter is coming.

Attachments

• tromso road and cycle path.jpg
    tromso road and cycle path.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 12
  • tromso track.jpg
    tromso track.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Why not use a fat bike for commuting?

When I went to Norway people just seemed to use pretty standard MTBs.
Have a look at what the locals have.

OP
OP
jessjesseee

jessjesseee

Why not use a fat bike for commuting?
Hmmmm thats an idea! I've never ridden a fat bike but they look like great fun 😁. I worry that the fat tyres might be too hard work??
I was thinking of getting some fat studded tyres to put on a hardtail mtb (like 2.6" fatties)

OP
OP
jessjesseee

jessjesseee

When I went to Norway people just seemed to use pretty standard MTBs.
Have a look at what the locals have.
Yes, when I was asking around most of the locals either have e-bikes or MTBs BUT they go into the shed in the winter and people ski to work instead :laugh: (or take the bus). I'm not so interested in skiing...

Tromso is warmed by the gulf stream so winters are milder than the lattitude suggests.

Temperature
With an average high-temperature of -2.2°C (28°F) and an average low-temperature of -6.5°C (20.3°F), January is the coldest month.

Hydraulic brakes may be the best option but below -15c arctic cyclists prefer cable disk. The point of failure is the seals (cable seals not the polar bear food variety.)

https://arcticultra.de/fatbiking/

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I would go for an 80's mtb ie no suspension

mustang1

Guru
I have no idea about commuting in the snow so take this with a pinch of salt (why the heck do these puns always come up at the most when I try hard not to) but a Voodoo Bizango is about £700. It's a 29er, air sprung front suspension (IDK if there are implications of how it works in cold weather), hydro brakes.

BTW do you mean the whole bike needs to be replaced every 2 years or just the drivetrain + bb + headset?

figbat

Slippery scientist
My first thought was fat-bike too - lots of tyre contact patch and at the right pressure will offer plenty of 'suspension'. Front suspension could suffer with the oil getting really thick when cold - although the temperatures mentioned by @MichaelW2 aren't that worrying.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
A fat bike or MTB with wide, studded tyres seems to be the obvious starting point..

Top Bottom