Winter commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gavman

Regular
Hi just wondering if people have any tips/recommendations for equipment when riding during the winter. I'll only be going between 10 and 25 miles for work however occasionally I may have longer leisure rides. Not looking to spend too much on each item so looking at the cheaper side of the spectrum.

Tommy2

Über Member
That didn't work, I'll try again later.

Welcome to CC @Gavman :welcome:

You may not be aware but you can search threads as well.:cheers:

CC search.png

Just typing winter commute and ticking search titles only brings up 3 pages of previous posts on the subject HERE :okay:

Happy reading :reading:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
There honestly isn't much you need to commute in winter that you don't already have.

I use

Fingerless gloves.
Thin jacket.
Softshell fleece.
Decent lights.
Hi-viz vest.
Strong trousers (I use Dickie ones) so if you skid on ice you are protected from the road.
Thick scarf and hat.

That was all I needed for my 22 mile round commute throughout the last few winters. Beyond that there are lots of things that are nice to have but nothing really essential. Take it easy around corners especially early in the morning or on ungritted paths. Feel a bit cold when you set off and you will be a comfortable temperature after a few minutes.

If you do come off on ice it tends to be a nice low-friction skid so not too bad although you can always get unlucky.

Admittedly that is in Oxfordshire which doesn't really get too extreme, if you are in north Scotland you may need more.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Best value winter add-ons:
Mudguards as full as you can, with flaps.
Dry sack / dry bag (3 pack for £7 in The Range / The Rage at the moment) to keep dry socks and gloves in for the ride home.
Sealskinz mittens to go over regular cycling mitts, assuming they don't get stuck in your controls - if they do, lobster gloves may be better.
Rain legs.
Newspaper to stuff in your cycling shoes to dry them out a bit for the ride home.
Decent lights.
Merino - pricey but most stuff stays warm even when wet and dries fairly quickly.

I've added the "winter is coming" tag to the top of the page, so you can click that to see more general tips posted in the past.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Mudguards are a must. Also some good quality lights.
Clothing wise, I would say good quality gloves, a beanie hat to keep the head and ears warm, and some overshoes . A decent jacket, pay as much as your budget will allow, more if you can run to it.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Winter boots - dear but great !
This^^

My MW81's were the best buy when it came to winter commuting. Nothing worse than cold hands.

Top half, use layers and get a decent windproof. They don't need to be expensive, I picked up a Gore bikewear windproof which is awesome on ebay for £20.

M&S cycling chino's on the bottom, over either bib tights or shorts, depending on how cold it is.

Selection of wooly hats.

Good gloves.

BurningLegs

Veteran
My top tip is to focus on windproof rather than waterproof, and to consider how you will dry your gear out while you're at work.

When you're starting out on your ride, it's best to feel a little chilly so you can warmup through the ride. Otherwise you'll be sweating and overheating before you get to work! Just consider that if you get a puncture or something you could be on the side of the road for a while getting it sorted - I tend to keep a boil in the bag jacket in my pannier bag just in case.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There honestly isn't much you need to commute in winter that you don't already have.

I use

Fingerless gloves.
Thin jacket.
Softshell fleece.
Decent lights.
Hi-viz vest.
Strong trousers (I use Dickie ones) so if you skid on ice you are protected from the road.
Thick scarf and hat.

That was all I needed for my 22 mile round commute throughout the last few winters. Beyond that there are lots of things that are nice to have but nothing really essential. Take it easy around corners especially early in the morning or on ungritted paths. Feel a bit cold when you set off and you will be a comfortable temperature after a few minutes.

If you do come off on ice it tends to be a nice low-friction skid so not too bad although you can always get unlucky.

Admittedly that is in Oxfordshire which doesn't really get too extreme, if you are in north Scotland you may need more.
Hi-vis doth offend mine eye.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi just wondering if people have any tips/recommendations for equipment when riding during the winter. I'll only be going between 10 and 25 miles for work however occasionally I may have longer leisure rides. Not looking to spend too much on each item so looking at the cheaper side of the spectrum.

Winter, and I mean proper winter, roadie, distance, rural & urban commuting:

Additional Kit
Gatorskins or similar
Mudguards
300 lumen front light, charging cable*

Additional Clothes
Full fingered wind proof gloves*
Thermal Jersey
Thermal tights
Merino socks
Neoprene over shoes**
Water/wind proof gillet**
Snood/neck thing*
Cycle cap**

* Important
** When rain forecast

Know your route, know your bail out options, as in winter weather and bike fails are far more likely.

Know how you're going to dry all this out before the bike home...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wear it only in the dark mainly in case my rear light fails on the way home. Unlikely now with rechargeable lights but you never know.

You do know that Hi-Viz at night appears to look the same as any other colour. It has little benefit at night,
What you may mean is reflectives.
Reflective is way more effective at night then hi-viz.

Mudpuppy

I'd recommend getting puncture-resistant tyres as it's much worse getting a puncture in the cold and dark than on a nice, sunny day! Also I agree that windproof clothing is better than waterproof.

Top Bottom