Winter commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My top tip is to focus on windproof rather than waterproof, and to consider how you will dry your gear out while you're at work.

When you're starting out on your ride, it's best to feel a little chilly so you can warmup through the ride. Otherwise you'll be sweating and overheating before you get to work! Just consider that if you get a puncture or something you could be on the side of the road for a while getting it sorted - I tend to keep a boil in the bag jacket in my pannier bag just in case.
Layers work best , you can always take off / unzip a bit to control temperature.
I keep a jacket in my bag too , unless its realy raining i dont bother with it for the above reasons, base layer, long sleve roubaix jersey and a gilet on top along with a roubaix leggings over my shorts work for me unless its truely sub zero .

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Layers work best , you can always take off / unzip a bit to control temperature.
I keep a jacket in my bag too , unless its realy raining i dont bother with it for the above reasons, base layer, long sleve roubaix jersey and a gilet on top along with a roubaix leggings over my shorts work for me unless its truely sub zero .
I'm good clothing wise apart from some trousers for winter.
Do you have a link to the Roubaix Leggings you mention ?

I really like thin, insulated gillets (sleeveless zipped tops) that you can wear as a midlayer or even as a warmer over your shell for cold starts and stops.
Extremities suffer in the cold so spread your insulation around. Woollen socks in roomier footwear, neck tubes, decent gloves.
Windproof shells are essential, the non waterproof kind are more breathable. The only waterproof that is not clammy is Paramo.
Cheaper helmets have less air and more polystyrene so are warmer in winter than the high-end ventilated style.
Thicker, tougher tyres help to protect your rims on dark nights when you take an unexpected pothole.

In the SE we only get a week or two of really arctic blast but it tends to be dry, the wet weather tends to be mild. Freezing rain is very rare and the worst for cycling, far worse than snow.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Living on the east coast the wind is bitter at times .. straight off the North Sea can be brutal at times .. this will be my first year cycling on a road bike , last year I was on a mtb just paths and treks , so will be interesting for me and I'd like to be nice and warm .. some real good stuff in the sales right now all 50% or better which makes lot of difference ..

cyberknight

These are supposed to be similar
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Polaris-Bikeze-Cycling-Tights-SS17_57963.htm
Tbh I tend to wear bib tights now in winter, roubaix means they have a thin fleece inside.

Last edited:

mynydd

Veteran
If you haven't got decent drying facilities at work, like me. Keep a spare set of kit at work, and alternate until it needs washing.

Also, as said above, winter boots.... expensive but invaluable

cyberknight

If you haven't got decent drying facilities at work, like me. Keep a spare set of kit at work, and alternate until it needs washing.

Also, as said above, winter boots.... expensive but invaluable
I gave up on winter boots,wide feet made it near impossible for me to find a pair that fits mid winter I now have toe covers under overshoes.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Sealskin waterproof overshoes were probably the best cycle winter kit I ever bought!
Got a couple of different Enduro jackets i wear (depending on conditions )over technical tops, decent pair of gloves and a wooly hat and neck warmer.
I wear shorts all winter!
Its simple cheap kit but works for me although I must add I do have the car to fall back on in extreme conditions !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I gave up on winter boots,wide feet made it near impossible for me to find a pair that fits mid winter I now have toe covers under overshoes.

I never had winter boots until this year - I used overshoes. As I've had to pack in commuting, my rides are now off road, and overshoes just didn't cut it, especially as some walking, and lifting bikes over gates were involved. Shimano do a wide fit. I actually tend to mainly use the winter boots now, as they are easier to clean all the mud off !

Top Bottom