Winter cycling is a recipe for hypothermia, frostbite, and pneumonia.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist

It totally baffles me as to why anyone would be so suicidal as to go bicycling in winter's deep freeze, even in temperatures as cold as the low 20s Fahrenheit and often even colder. It is true that I see them all bundled up like eskimos, but bicycling is a form of exercise, and when you exercise, you sweat. And when a person sweats in all that clothing, the sweat eventually saturates the clothing, rendering it's insulating capabilities totally ineffective, literaly making it as though you may as well be bicycling naked. In fact, from learning experiences, once all layers are soaked in your sweat, the sweat can actually become a conductor, pulling heat away from your skin and pulling the deep freeze against you, causing your core body temperature to potentially drop like a brick, leading quickly to certain hypothermia and even pneumonia. Not to mention the constant freezing wind rushing past you as you bicycle, causing massive and extensive frostbite on every single square inch of exposed skin. Another thing that really wakes me up at night for those people who go riding in the winter is all those ice patches on the ground that will easily send a cyclist falling over and off the bike and slamming full force into the ground, which is often like solid cast iron in the winter time due to it being frozen solid. Especially considering even people on foot that slip and fall on that same ice have suffered fractures, including broken hips, and someimes even concussions and occasionally even skull fractures.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
What?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Fortunately, here in the UK, we rarely have temperatures as low as 20F for any extended period - and certainly not every year :smile:

I also thought that the whole purpose of modern 'technical' clothing is to remove the sweat from the skin, wick it through the various layers and cause it to be evaporated when it finally reaches the outside air. One of the best materials for a base layer is wool (merino is especially favoured), as it has the ability to keep the body warm-when-wet but beware if the exercise stops ! :cold:

Ice will make most cyclists fall over at some point :sad: (BTDTGTTS), which is where studded tyres are really good - and (recumbent) trikes are even better !

screenman

Legendary Member
For a first post that looks a bit troll like.

nappadang

Über Member
It totally baffles me as to why anyone would be so suicidal as to go bicycling in winter's deep freeze, even in temperatures as cold as the low 20s Fahrenheit and often even colder. It is true that I see them all bundled up like eskimos, but bicycling is a form of exercise, and when you exercise, you sweat. And when a person sweats in all that clothing, the sweat eventually saturates the clothing, rendering it's insulating capabilities totally ineffective, literaly making it as though you may as well be bicycling naked. In fact, from learning experiences, once all layers are soaked in your sweat, the sweat can actually become a conductor, pulling heat away from your skin and pulling the deep freeze against you, causing your core body temperature to potentially drop like a brick, leading quickly to certain hypothermia and even pneumonia. Not to mention the constant freezing wind rushing past you as you bicycle, causing massive and extensive frostbite on every single square inch of exposed skin. Another thing that really wakes me up at night for those people who go riding in the winter is all those ice patches on the ground that will easily send a cyclist falling over and off the bike and slamming full force into the ground, which is often like solid cast iron in the winter time due to it being frozen solid. Especially considering even people on foot that slip and fall on that same ice have suffered fractures, including broken hips, and someimes even concussions and occasionally even skull fractures.
Not a fan then?

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
:eek:

I do solemnly promise that on the one, possibly two, day(s) of the year we have snow here I will walk the school run assuming that it is still on and not cancelled. 'onest injun!

penguin-mom-walking-fail.gif

Top Bottom