Winter cycling is a recipe for hypothermia, frostbite, and pneumonia.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Cyclist said."from learning experiences,"
What learning experiences? When in the army I along with many others trained in temps as low as -40. The learning was about what effort level maintains body temp without excessive sweating and how to dress in such a way that one could maintain body temp at a near constant. As to cycling in the winter it is a matter of choice but the correct equipment can be the difference between whether that choice is sensible or foolhardy. Ice spike tyres in extreme conditions for instance. Correct clothing, several wicking underlayers and a ventile outer layer is my choice, there are others too. Riding style to suit conditions is important and improves with time and experience. should temps/wind chill get to a point where exposed skin is at risk...don't have exposed skin. Commuted six days a week 15 miles to work and 15 back home in the late 60's early 70's and then again 1990 to 2005 in the heart of the grampian mountains. Never missed a days work due to weather. When that part of the road run to smooth ice by four wheeled traffic becomes unridable use the verge or run between the car tracks. Take longer to do the journey just as you would on a sweltering hot summers day to avoid overheating and dehydration. Take time to learn how to bale from a bike safely and in the direction you choose ie away from danger. A healthy awareness of risk and training to reduce that risk is my choice and paranoia plays no part in my decision making process

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Cyclist said."from learning experiences,"
What learning experiences? When in the army I along with many others trained in temps as low as -40. The learning was about what effort level maintains body temp without excessive sweating and how to dress in such a way that one could maintain body temp at a near constant. As to cycling in the winter it is a matter of choice but the correct equipment can be the difference between whether that choice is sensible or foolhardy. Ice spike tyres in extreme conditions for instance. Correct clothing, several wicking underlayers and a ventile outer layer is my choice, there are others too. Riding style to suit conditions is important and improves with time and experience. should temps/wind chill get to a point where exposed skin is at risk...don't have exposed skin. Commuted six days a week 15 miles to work and 15 back home in the late 60's early 70's and then again 1990 to 2005 in the heart of the grampian mountains. Never missed a days work due to weather. When that part of the road run to smooth ice by four wheeled traffic becomes unridable use the verge or run between the car tracks. Take longer to do the journey just as you would on a sweltering hot summers day to avoid overheating and dehydration. Take time to learn how to bale from a bike safely and in the direction you choose ie away from danger. A healthy awareness of risk and training to reduce that risk is my choice and paranoia plays no part in my decision making process
Sweltering hot summers in the Grampians? Obviously a troll! :laugh:

(Though, seriously, I've been in the highlands during a heatwave and you can get one hell of a tan out in the mountains.)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Uhhh, there are Canadian members on this forum that commute on the bike in deep winter.
Just raining and blowing a gale here, so tomorrow the girls and I are going for a wee ride :girl:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cycling in winter is like mountaineering or skiing in winter - the joy of being out in the great outdoors, safe, warm, dry, secure and happy when most others are shivering indoors by the fire. It's the ability to overcome the conditions and have a geat day out.

Not many folk seem to understand this.

Top Bottom