Winter cycling is a recipe for hypothermia, frostbite, and pneumonia.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
I think s/he is either starting a first aid course or has just finished a module in a DofE course & has yet to put into practice.
Any outdoor based activity, undertaken in extremes of weather will always carry a certain amount of risk, due soley to to the effects of the weather upon the body.
I just don't want to be there when they want to put theory into practice!

Another thing that really wakes me up at night for those people who go riding in the winter is all those ice patches on the ground that will easily send a cyclist falling over and off the bike and slamming full force into the ground, which is often like solid cast iron in the winter time due to it being frozen solid.

That doesn't wake me up at night; does this mean I'm a cold hearted meanie who doesn't care about you lot in the winter? :smile:

ayceejay

Guru
-8 degrees with the wind chill this morning and THAT is cold. I have booked an ambulance, should I say I have frostbite, hypothermia or pneumonia or settle for a hot cup of tea? If my hands weren't so cold there would not have been a problem I just can't find gloves that are up to theses kind of temperatures. I did get frost bite once out walking as it happens and that was on my face from the wind so I always factor in the wind and cover my face as much as poss.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just bought a spare wheel set for my Marathons Ice Spikers, bring on the snow* and ice, I'm ready! :crazy:
*December 12th, remember!!

Top Bottom