Winter cycling is a recipe for hypothermia, frostbite, and pneumonia.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Well, come on enlighten us then.
I regard cycling as a mean of keeping reasonably fit, while enjoying being out and about on two wheels. Cycling stops being enjoyable when I have to fight winds, rain, snow etc... principally in winter time. I have a car to keep me dry, warm and safe in those conditions. I choose my moments when I cycle in winter and that is on dry roads and daylight. I can cope with the cold if there is no ice. In winter time, my cycling mileage is always lower that summer time.
Like I said before, I can't understand why people want to cycle in adverse weather conditions when there is no need ( unless it is your only means of transport of course.)
At my age, a bad fall could put me off work for a long time and one is more likely to fall / have an accident, in bad weather conditions. I hope this clarifies my previous comments. ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
I thought I was supposed to remember the 5th of November. Three score barrels o' powder below.
Thats today, the 12th December is something else entirely! In house bet.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I regard cycling as a mean of keeping reasonably fit, while enjoying being out and about on two wheels. Cycling stops being enjoyable when I have to fight winds, rain, snow etc... principally in winter time. I have a car to keep me dry, warm and safe in those conditions. I choose my moments when I cycle in winter and that is on dry roads and daylight. I can cope with the cold if there is no ice. In winter time, my cycling mileage is always lower that summer time.
Like I said before, I can't understand why people want to cycle in adverse weather conditions when there is no need ( unless it is your only means of transport of course.)
At my age, a bad fall could put me off work for a long time and one is more likely to fall / have an accident, in bad weather conditions. I hope this clarifies my previous comments. ;)

Ever stopped to consider that other people don't have the same criteria for enjoyment as yourself? Or indeed the same motivations to be out cycling in the 1st place?

gavroche

Ever stopped to consider that other people don't have the same criteria for enjoyment as yourself? Or indeed the same motivations to be out cycling in the 1st place?
Of course, I am fully aware that others have different criteria, but I am sure that plenty would also agree with me. Diversity is what makes the world interesting.

400bhp

Guru
Of course, I am fully aware that others have different criteria, but I am sure that plenty would also agree with me. Diversity is what makes the world interesting.

But you stated "I can't understand".

The two don't add up.

400bhp

Guru
This is such a successful troll! The OP is really funny if you read it properly - the poster hasn't been seen on here since 2 minutes after posting it, and it's sparked off five pages of discussion, some of it a bit on the bad-tempered side ^_^

Who cares - More interesting and less fueled than "Your Ride Today":whistle:

boydj

Legendary Member
The reality is that most of the UK has generally fairly mild winters and while cycling may be a bit more uncomfortable, it is rarely any more dangerous. In the last five years in the west of Scotland, I think I have failed to cycle a total of less than 20 commutes due to weather and dangerous conditions, including a major freeze a couple of years ago when even the main roads were hard-packed, rutted ice for almost two weeks. With the right gear, winter cycling is a recipe for maintaining fitness and health in readiness for spring.

gavroche

But you stated "I can't understand".

The two don't add up.
Exactly. This is just a personal opinion.

Dan B

Disengaged member
That's me convinced then. In fact why bother with a bike at all. I think I'll sell my bikes and get myself a sensible convertible sports car. That way I can enjoy my Sunday morning rides without having to battle against any of the elements, hot or cold.
If you don't like battling against hot elements, may I suggest you stop sticking your fingers in the kettle?

Top Bottom