Winter gear at Aldi next week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just back from Whitefield Aldi; plenty stacked up there. I tried on a few things, here's what I found:

Winter jersey - very tight in the body and sleeves but FAR too long and the neck band is floppy and too wide. It's also a rather dull colour that looks like sun-faded red.

Winter jacket - also FAR too long, the pockets actually hang below your arse. Nice wide neck band that stands up well but again, FAR too wide.

Luggage rack - weighs about a stone, must be made from recycled steel building rods.

Mini pump - heavy, awful handle and no frame mounting bracket. Incorporates a useless pressure gauge. Claims to do all three valve types but I can't see how.

Merino jersey - only actually 30% wool, the white band is grey, very thin, very long in the body and looks like the kind of designer knitwear Mrs GTi wears, in fact it would make a nice wool mini dress for a woman sized about 8.

Shoes - SPD only with hard plastic MTB type lugs, look cheap and very bulky indeed when worn.

Winter trousers - look like something a Russian athlete would wear while awaiting the competition, a mass of bulky folds of a fleecy material around a loose elastic waistband, which is too low.

Winter gloves - just about OK for £4.99 so I bought a pair in black/red to match my bike, despite the naff "Biking" logo, which somebody else mentions above. I might try to scratch that off.

The stock was being pored over by several cyclists who I could see were all going through the same mental process as me: "Blimey that's cheap! Looks okay, let's try it on....... hmmm, not so good after all.... shame!"

I'll stick with dhb stuff from Wiggle I think.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
 I have had my Aldi winter gloves for 2 seasons now.  I bought some Decathlon silk gloves to go under them this year, but they are warm enough on their own.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just nipped back to the Whitefield store and bought gloves in Small for Gti junior and Mrs Gti, as well as arm warmers for a pal. £16.97 the lot. They've got loads of stock there. Tried the winter jacket on again, the neck is huge, a pity because the rest of it isn't bad.

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
Went to the Blackpool Aldi as it is nearest to my workplace, bought the following items:-

• Arm warmers (large) - Work very well as I had to use this morning on a very chilly commute, if any critiscm is coming of them is that they could be a tad longer
  • Socks - Always buy a couple of pairs as they are good value and do keep your feet warm, I noticed that they had changed the design so they have merino wool in them now
  • Merino Wool Top (X Large) - fits me perfectly and I am a 44" chest, I really like the look and style of this top and was tempted to buy another one, if anything is wrong with it, is that it doesn't have any rear pockets (might get my Mother to modify it)
  • Thermal top (X Large) - fits well and seems to do the job, will know more so when the Winter really sets in
  • Brown 3 qtr MTB shorts (large) - they incorporate some padded underwear, the pad quality looks ok, as do the shorts on themselves, I quite like the cut and style of them Note: I had to take the large back for X Large as they were tight on my upper thighs

Cost £50.94

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
I nipped back there too this morning to take back the large size winter trousers for hubby he's a 37" waist (not that he'll thank me for sharing that) but the 34- 36 was a tad to small exchanged for X-large and they fit great. also bought the thermal underwear thought it would be a good investment for out on the motorbike as well as cycling no more pennies left in the piggy bank now :blush:

I got a few items.

Winter Socks - Already own the "trainer liner" version and they are good so got myself some long ones.

Winter Trousers - I have full waterproofs and hate them, so want something half way - being wet isn't an issue, being dirty is.

Winter Gloves - Ski gloves are a bit big on the bars!

Winter jersey - because I only have a summer one + thermal top :tongue:

Overshoes+Skull cap - Skull caps suck, why didn't they sell them separate. I got thick overshoes (neoprene) waaaay to hot for anything so wanted a thin pair. Given my Skull cap away to SittingDuck.

Sadly the trousers I got in Medium, but I need a Small - returned next day and they have none left :sad:

Anyone got a Small that needs to swap for Med? :tongue:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Winter jacket - perfect fit for me but its claimed chest size is two sizes up from my actual one; good job I tried it on instore. Much better than the one on offer last year that had ridiculously tight sleeves.

Winter jersey - unlike the jacket, claimed size is right. It is a good fit and fine on its own or with a base layer but it is so long that it would look ridiculous under a jacket. Has a decent zipped pocket.

Gloves - these don't look that special but my previous two pairs lasted for three winter seasons and kept my hands warm in the coldest of weather on 25 mile rides. In fact they are still ok but have had some gardening use.

John

Top Bottom