Winter sadness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I thought I might have S.A.D.

How do you tell the difference between it being a condition and it just being a response to how boring and sh*t this time of year is?

SAD is quite common and a very genuine problem. If you genuinely feel as miserable as your posts suggest, then you really should ser your GP.
Exercise and outdoor activity may help you - but lack of motivation is symptomatic.

Drago

Legendary Member
Go see a doctor, check that there isn't something wrong with you. Don't just assume it's SAD or summat because it happens to be winter when you become unwell.

Good luck.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I've not gone clipless before, so quite fancied it. Started cycling in August so it's a gradual evolution.

I need to get outside more, even just to get some head space from work. Vicious cycle of no exercise, more food, weight gain, feeling of misery.

Going to get out on bike tomorrow hopefully.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
That's the plan. Off for two weeks so will try to get a few miles in.

My only issue is that I'm worried my new puppy is going to eat my tyres or something. Might have to kill it if that happens!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've cycled over 500 miles this month, and will do the same next month. Commuting you see.

but like the OP, if I didn't work or was retired, don't think I would want to get out there in this grim weather - horizontal rain and stinking crosswinds today.

cycling for the sake of cycling is not fun in this weather.

D

Deleted member 1258

My cycling has been restricted over the few weeks so I've been making sure the commute gets done, at least that way I'm getting some miles in, normally I'm as active on the bike this time of year as in the summer, the cycling helps me cope with winters cold and dark. I always recon its the motivation thats the hardest part of riding this time of year, if you can find a reason to get out there's some good riding to be had.

zizou

Veteran
With the appropriate clothing then the weather is (usually!) never as bad as you think it will be. Even on the properly awful days there can still sometimes be a perverse pleasure in being out. The worst part is the preperation, getting all the gear on and out the door then on the return the bike washing etc.

The more fitness you maintain (or even gain) over the winter then the more fun there is to be had in the summer too. If you put your gear on and start your ride and after 10 minutes you are still feeling miserable and hating it, then turn back. At least you got out and gave it a go rather than sat about thinking it might be bad. I suspect you wont be be wanting to cut your ride short though because you will be enjoying it again. :smile:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I commute to work every day on my bike, but I also do circuit training and spin on a Monday, metcon on a Wednesday and circuits on a Friday. I ride at the weekend too.

It's quite tough sometimes but I prefer this to the dead lethargy feeling of doing nothing in the winter. The fitter I am, the happier I am. It's also good to get off my arse and do these classes and meet new people. I've not become best buddies with any of them, but it's nice to get out and do something with other people on a regular basis.

The hardest bit is the first step!

Do what you can and try not to view the time you've been off as an issue, view it more as say a regeneration period. We all have off periods, sometimes forced, I use to get worked up about it, thinking if I'm off for too long maybe Ill never go back to it. Nowadays I don't think about it, just do it when I can and its more often than i thought it would be.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you're getting a pup, assuming it's not a chihuahua, you're going to have to get used to going out to walk it in all weathers...should toughen you up for winter cycling!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Dog will be great,I walk mine miles,but she's getting on now and getting so she dont want it..
with the S,A,D ,go to dr for a blood test or whatever.if ok try a bright lamp for SAD sufferers,they do work.

I hate the long dark nights but im fortunate ,I work outside and have free time to go out and get some exercise most days.wich keeps me sane through winter.
good luck with the puppy there awsome..

Top Bottom