1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Cycle computer

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by yorkshiregoth, 13 Jan 2008.

1. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

Bought a VDO A8+ about a month ago but this past couple of days it has been showing really random figures like 63mph when I am creeping towards traffic lights, next it will show 4mph when I am flying down a hill doing about 30mph.

Any advice (http://schwabcycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=1212)

2. PatrickPending

PatrickPending Veteran

A sigma I had a few years back used to tell me I did 200Kmph plus through traffic lights - I think they just suffer from interference from the inductive loop used by some traffic lights to detect oncoming vehicles.

3. Plax

Plax Veteran

I've given up on my wireless computer. I've just found a wired Cateye computer so I'm going to give that a try. Hopefully it will arrive through the post shortly!

4. Lardyboy

Lardyboy New Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of wireless 'putes! :wacko:

Everyone I've bought, and I'm going back a few years, has broken down. So I've got a cheap wired one on the "everyday" bike and, God help me, a CS200 on the best bike which I'm not holding much hope on with my record! :blush:

5. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

My VDO did that a lot. New battery in the transmitter sorted it.

That said, the best wireless computer I have used (We now have three of them) is the cheap (£12?) one from Decathlon.

6. mikeitup

mikeitup Senior Member

re

I have a cateye micro wireless. It works fine. Even after a 40 deg. wash cycle.

7. simonali

simonali Über Member

I had one of the original wireless computers and that used to go haywire near transmitters and the like. Think it was a Cateye and, iIrc, it had a yellow button and a red button on it.

Always had wired ones since then.

8. gavintc

gavintc Guru

Like many on here, I have given up on wireless computers. I have owned a few, in the mistaken belief that the next one would work fine. They usually did, until the guarantee had expired. I am now a complete convert to the hi-tech world of wires.

9. doyler78

doyler78 Well-Known Member

GPS, and it's Euro counterpart if it ever gets of the ground, will make traditional wireless comps redundant once they start to fall in price a bit more. The new range of Garmin Edge's has me drooling but too dear for me as my Polar cost me over £200 and it still works so can't justify the cost to myself but still can't help just drooling.

Like everyone else my wireless comp suffers from intereference however as part of an overall ride the interference can be measured in seconds therefore the skew on the figures on the road is unlikely to be that noticeable and my polar is excellent in that the hrm downloads auto correct the interference so happy enough with it.

10. giant man

giant man New Member

Whatever you do don't get a Sigma Sport computer, complete rubbish. Get something cheap and wired for under a tenner and you'll be happy.

11. Pete

Pete Guest

The digital version (VDO C+ e.g. C05+) doesn't suffer from this problem AFAIK. Also, I assume that it doesn't cross-talk with your neighbour's VDO C+ when riding two abreast. Slightly more expensive though, and harder to come by.