Wish I hadn't bothered ordering this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There was a thread on here a while ago about usb charging sticks.

My Garmin is running on fumes towards the end of longer rides, so I decided to order one.

Nothing turned up for weeks, so I contacted the supplier, Euro Carparts.

Response was sorry for the delay, it will be with you in a few weeks.

Nothing for several more weeks, so I contacted them again.

Response was sorry, your order got lost, but is now on its way.

I'm rarely in to receive packages, but was hopeful a recharging stick would be pushed through the letterbox.

No luck there, but an undelivered card from DHL appeared on the doormat.

It told me their online 'on demand' service offered unsigned for delivery.

No such link on the website, so I'm now in call centre land.

The DHL operator told me Euro Carparts do not allow unsigned delivery, but I could collect the item from my local Ryman store.

Which is what I did, being careful not frustrate myself further by looking to see if they sold recharging sticks, although no doubt Maplins around corner do.

I could moan about customer service, although to be fair to both companies they answered my queries promptly, by email in the case of Euro Carparts, and by telephone in the case of DHL.

On t'other hand, there's no doubt Euro Carparts would have kept my money and not supplied the item had I not kept chasing them.

Have you made an online purchase which turned into a saga?

galaxy

Veteran
When i bought my wife the Farther In Law promised me a Cow and 2 Acres. I`m still waiting for the land.

Ribble Cycles....

Some years ago now.

Bought a Giro helmet, and the first time I wore it one of the straps detached from the helmet fixing, so sent it back......

They returned it as being "Fair wear and tear", so returned it again pointing out that a structural failure in the first 40 minutes is NOT fair wear and tear.

Correspondence got me nowhere, so eventually took helmet to a Giro main dealer and got them to make an "Expert Statement" where they clearly said that it was a structural failure, not fit for purpose and should be replaced. ..... still dismissed as fair wear and tear so went to Small Claims Court

At this point I got my refund and expense

However it was all unnecessary

Ironically as part of the process I had written to Giro to ask their opinion, but had not received a reply

A week after it was all settled I got a lovely letter from Giro apologising and sending me a free replacement!

(Edited to remove automatic insertion of link)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A Brighton based music shop on Discogs...

Wednesday: Ordered and paid for a 2nd hand CD.
Two days later (Friday), my order still wasn't marked as dispatched so i contacted the seller who replied on Monday, telling me that i hadn't paid and he'd cancelled the order. I sent him proof of payment and he gave me a lame excuse of 'didn't get an alert on my phone'.
A few days later (Thursday or Friday) I still hadn't received my CD, so asked the seller if he'd sent it. He told me he'd sent it last week.
I reminded him that last week, he'd cancelled my order and therefore wouldn't have sent it prior to me pointing out his error, and asked again if he'd posted it.
He assured me he had sent it, told me that he had a feeling i'd be a pain in the arse from the outset (by simply ordering and paying for a CD), offered me a refund and said "if it turns up, have it for free"
By this point, I knew he was a lying piece of sh!t and was all set to give negative feedback on his Discogs account, but since he'd given me a refund and cancelled the order, there was no order to moan about. I was livid.

A few weeks later I found the same CD on Ebay at a similar price (around £2.99, but not in Brighton)... clicked Buy it Now and looked forward to receiving it. The next day, my order had been cancelled and the CD was relisted at £7.99 !!! (grrrr)

I eventually found it on Amazon for about a fiver.

...and if you're interested who the artist was, it was this lady's debut CD; The Hangman Tree

Was that the one that was mistakenly priced at 99p? I'm not surprised they were reluctant to send it to you, as it would have cost them money. But under those circumstances they should have refunded you the money, not held on to your pound. That's just crazy.

And if you paid full price for the same item (£19.99) then you should be glad to get a refund. That money can buy you a charger with 10 times the capacity,, and a solar cell

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ah, CycleChat. Home of poor spelling and casual misogyny since 2007.

What with all the Misogynists and Professionally Offended here, there's barely room for normal folk like me on CC :laugh:

I had almost the opposite experience. I ordered cassette and chain from Chain Reaction and it never arrived. I contacted them to find out what was happening, cancelled the order and asked for a refund. They sat on it for several days to "make sure the item was returned to the warehouse". During that time, the maintenance night came and went, so I was stuck not being able to order from somewhere else. Finally they gave me a refund.

A week later, the original order turned up on my doorstep. :smile:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Was that the one that was mistakenly priced at 99p? I'm not surprised they were reluctant to send it to you, as it would have cost them money. But under those circumstances they should have refunded you the money, not held on to your pound. That's just crazy.

And if you paid full price for the same item (£19.99) then you should be glad to get a refund. That money can buy you a charger with 10 times the capacity,, and a solar cell

That was the thread, but the 99p one had already been taken off sale by the time I clicked on the link.

I bought a £9.99 Bosch branded one from the same site.

Quite chunky, which I'm guessing means it has reasonable capacity.

P1000410.JPG

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
There was a thread on here a while ago about usb charging sticks.

My Garmin is running on fumes towards the end of longer rides, so I decided to order one.

Response was sorry for the delay, it will be with you in a few weeks.

Nothing for several more weeks, so I contacted them again.

Response was sorry, your order got lost, but is now on its way.

I'm rarely in to receive packages, but was hopeful a recharging stick would be pushed through the letterbox.

No luck there, but an undelivered card from DHL appeared on the doormat.

It told me their online 'on demand' service offered unsigned for delivery.

No such link on the website, so I'm now in call centre land.

The DHL operator told me Euro Carparts do not allow unsigned delivery, but I could collect the item from my local Ryman store.

Which is what I did, being careful not frustrate myself further by looking to see if they sold recharging sticks, although no doubt Maplins around corner do.

I could moan about customer service, although to be fair to both companies they answered my queries promptly, by email in the case of Euro Carparts, and by telephone in the case of DHL.

On t'other hand, there's no doubt Euro Carparts would have kept my money and not supplied the item had I not kept chasing them.

Slightly off topic, but what's wrong with a Poundland £1 powerbank, if your Garmin is running out of puff? Admittegly limited charge capacity at (I think 600mh), but the unit is light, will easily fit into a seat bag or pocket and if it gets damaged or lost it's only cost a quid. Mine easily recharges my Garmin (500 series)

U

User33236

Ordered a bullet camera for my bike, from Chilli Technology, which arrived quite quickly. Unfortunately the saga began when it went faulty a very short time after. I contacted them for a returns reference. It took several days and a number of back and forth emails during which they kept trying to make out in was user error. Eventually they accepted the return and quite quickly after confirmed it was indeed faulty and would replace it.

Five weeks later the replacement eventually arrived. First ride out it died after 20 minutes despite being fully charged the night before. I ran a series on test and confirmed that the battery was indeed losing charge overnight despite being left switched off. I contacted them again and they step by step went through an idiots guide to managing memory cards as I 'must not be clearing it properly and it is switching off due to it being full'. I explained to them the job I do and that I was 100% postive the unit was defective. Eventually they accepted return of this second camera.

Four weeks later, after I has chased them several times, they told me the camera was ok and they would return it to me if I paid postage. After an lengthy phonecall during which I pointer out errors in the way they were testing it compared to real world practicalities they agreed to test it again. A week on they confirmed it was indeed faulty but would not be sending me a replacement as I was 'the type of person who would never be happy' with their product so would send be a refund. Again that took ages but eventually, four months after the first camera went faulty, I finally received a refund.

That was the thread, but the 99p one had already been taken off sale by the time I clicked on the link.

I bought a £9.99 Bosch branded one from the same site.

Quite chunky, which I'm guessing means it has reasonable capacity.

View attachment 339473
That's not chunky, this is chunky ....
kinder (2).jpg
(AA battery for scale).

Though to be fair this has 5 x the capacity of yours and it 4 years old.

Edit 2: Yours has a capacity of 2200mAh. You can compare that to the capacity of your garmin battery to see how many times it can recharge it.

For a guide, it can probably recharge an iPhone 7 completely from flat, but definitely not an iPhone 7 plus.

One more edit: The AA battery in this image is rated 2300mAh, so that has slightly more charge than the USB pack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom