Woman cyclist gets her own back ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I saw this and it made me wonder... is it a set up? Obviously I'm looking at this as an overprivileged straight white male, but does this sort of thing really go on? A bit of shouting I can believe but this just seems so over the top. Same with the emphasis in the moped rider's response. Also a conveniently short distance from the junction to the van stopping. Source looks a bit clickbaity too, which makes me suspicious.

Is this a true representation of what women have to put up with?
I also thought fake.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I dunno, what stuck me with regards to the fake or not arguement was that it took her three goes to get the mirror off, which is understandable, however if someone had been doing that to my van I'd have been out of the van after the first attempt and, as @theclaud points out, without the shoulder check.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The following biker arrives at the right moment, then follows more slowly than bikers tend to ride, finally catching up with the action to deliver the punchline. Too good to be true

Not at all. Don't forget that the motorcyclist has a camera so his instinct is to follow the action. It doesn't look set up at all to me; the cyclist's anger is quite real.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Honestly the level of cynicism amongst web users is depressing. We are so jaded by fake news, clickbait and garbage that we automatically reject most of what we see. The wonderful gift of the Internet has been so abused during its short life that it has sunk into the same mire as the newspapers.

The video looks genuine to me, the body language looks unrehearsed especially the cyclist's desperate, adrenaline-driven revenge.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Honestly the level of cynicism amongst web users is depressing. We are so jaded by fake news, clickbait and garbage that we automatically reject most of what we see. The wonderful gift of the Internet has been so abused during its short life that it has sunk into the same mire as the newspapers.

The video looks genuine to me, the body language looks unrehearsed especially the cyclist's desperate, adrenaline-driven revenge.

That looked genuine to me - it's the rage that pulled off a wing mirror - takes quite an effort to rip one off like that.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The cyclist is not big or muscular, she has quite slim arms and shoulders so yes, it must have taken some adrenaline to do that.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The cyclist is not big or muscular, she has quite slim arms and shoulders so yes, it must have taken some adrenaline to do that.

I've only ever once took a transit van mirror off - that was when I was left hooked, smashed through it with my shoulder, and super-man'ed about 30 feet ! It took effort ! :rolleyes:

Jody

Stubborn git
The only way I would be convinced it were real was the whole video being shown. Reeks of clickbait setup. No doubt some blokes act like that and there is no excuse but it just doesn't sit right with me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Surely somebody can find either the aggressors or the victim on social media and get their side of the story? It seems that just about everybody twitters or twatters in this age of verbal and emotional incontinence.

Globalti

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4693289, member: 9609"]I guess we have always been fed a great deal of fake news, there just seems more now than ever before. And even the stuff that could be true seems to come with a narrative that is often biased, exaggerated or misleading.[/QUOTE]

The web has been so effectively and comprehensively monetised that it has descended to the level of a wild west freak show selling snake oil. I suppose this is because the web is completely democratic in that it gives the power of the media to every idiot on the planet, whereas before the web news was controlled by those who had the means to print and distribute and later those who had the means to broadcast. It's devaluation of news, effectively.

Edit: this doesn't mean the news was any more true before the web.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I dunno, what stuck me with regards to the fake or not arguement was that it took her three goes to get the mirror off, which is understandable, however if someone had been doing that to my van I'd have been out of the van after the first attempt and, as @theclaud points out, without the shoulder check.
Plus they make no attempt to go after her, either on foot or in the van.

Honestly the level of cynicism amongst web users is depressing. We are so jaded by fake news, clickbait and garbage that we automatically reject most of what we see.

Cynicism, or a little critical thinking? The latter being the perfect antidote to 'fake news' i.e. bullshit. Funnily enough, it's been around a long time. :laugh:

Top Bottom