Woman cyclist killed in Victoria (tipper truck)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
No! move on

So remind me about how you were insisting "what a joke some people are about here"?

From here it merely looks like you're being disingenuously defeatist. And that's being generous. It might help if you made some effort to thinking about solutions rather than calling those who have names?

classic33

Leg End Member
Those companies that are in the industry must be hoping like hell that Labour won't keep promises they made, should they win in May.
It'll cost em a fortune.

subaqua

What’s the point
So remind me about how you were insisting "what a joke some people are about here"?

From here it merely looks like you're being disingenuously defeatist. And that's being generous. It might help if you made some effort to thinking about solutions rather than calling those who have names?

that is a two way street too.

subaqua

What’s the point
A lot of companies have fitted side-guards to tippers in their fleet: Cemex, Sita UK, Conway, etc.

Whilst it is true that vehicles going off road in more demanding situations may be more likely to incur damage to side-guards, it is possible to overcome this with the fitment of detachable or retractable side-guards. The main reason these are not used by the construction ROAD HAULAGE industry is cited as cost...

please stop confusing construction and Road Haulage.

construction builds things , haulage carries things .

otherwise using the same logic BMW are in the drug dealing business .

Wobblers

Euthermic
that is a two way street too.

I've already argued on the unwisdom of squeezing down the inside of tipper trucks on the other thread. Here though, all I'm seeing are evasions and excuses. The haulage industry has a deliberate policy of externalising the risks of its industry onto all other road users, for their own convenience. And has been ably demonstrated in this thread, there is endless resistance to any measure that may increase safety. Put simply, that is inexcusable.

Your distinction between construction and haulage is quite frankly, artificial. Construction vehicles are designed the way they are for the benefit of the construction industry - and again the risks are externalised onto other (especially vulnerable) road users. That also is inexcusable. Why, for instance, is a vehicle that requires a banksman on a building site allowed without any safety precautions onto the public highway?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Hyperbole again. There are safety precautions that affect such vehicles. You're as hysterical as the people you're upset with...

Origamist

Legendary Member

I'm not going to debate the overlapping worlds of construction and haulage.

It's a shame that you once again choose to ignore the substantive issue in my post.

Last edited:

subaqua

What’s the point
I've already argued on the unwisdom of squeezing down the inside of tipper trucks on the other thread. Here though, all I'm seeing are evasions and excuses. The haulage industry has a deliberate policy of externalising the risks of its industry onto all other road users, for the sake of saving some money. And has been ably demonstrated in this thread, there is endless resistance to any measure that may increase safety. Put simply, that is inexcusable.

Your distinction between construction and haulage is quite frankly, artificial. Construction vehicles are designed the way they are for the benefit of the construction industry - and again the risks are externalised onto other (especially vulnerable) road users. That also is inexcusable. Why, for instance, is a vehicle that requires a banksman on a building site allowed without any safety precautions onto the public highway?

no they are not . look at any rigid chassis lorry. same design for a box on the back for parcels , or a tipper body . or as a container lorry. so there's no legs in that argument.

as for the cost one on retractable guards , ok say they cost a grand each , and you have a fleet of 100 vehicles , fitting them overnight ( like some hint at here) is not only impossible physically but also financially . or should we just shut everything down ? thats reasonably practicable isn't it !

lets get a man with a flag then .

and banksman is for one reason. stopping the lorry going down the hole, tipping over on the bank of earth etc . the people protection is a secondary role as much as we hate it that way.

lower vehicles would suit me on site , mainly for the offloading as the distance to fall is smaller , and whilst any height is still WAH , the control measures are easier to implement on a smaller height.

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm not going to debate the overlapping worlds of construction and haulage.

It's a shame that you once again to choose to ignore the substantive issue in my post.

what like you also ignore the practicalities .

you must be awfully fit with all that jumping to conclusions and knee jerking.

or should we just shut everything down ? thats reasonably practicable isn't it !

That's just being hysterical and obstructive.

Between addressing the lawlessness and lethality of drivers and "shutting evrything down" there's room for nuance. You do yourself no favours with this hysteria.

Lorries are used in construction. Tipper lorries carry rubble. The police and cycling organisations refer to "construction vehicles", it's a common term.

I'm only doing this job for another two weeks,
I really don't like the stigma associated with it, people look at you like your the scum of the earth,
people who live on unfinished housing estates really don't like you driving through...

I will be going back to night trunking soon, all on major A roads and motoways

Before taking your current job, what industry-recognised cycle training had you undergone?

Origamist

Legendary Member
what like you also ignore the practicalities .

you must be awfully fit with all that jumping to conclusions and knee jerking.

Err, I just responded to a post about the practical implementation of side-guards. Lots of companies have fitted side guards and the oft repeated reason why most others wouldn't fit them was cost, not practical issues!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Those companies that are in the industry must be hoping like hell that Labour won't keep promises they made, should they win in May.
It'll cost em a fortune.
When you say "a fortune" do you mean a fortune, or do you mean "a relatively modest one-off cost when compared with their annual profits, and when compared with the societal cost of killing and injuring too many vulnerable road users"?

classic33

Leg End Member
When you say "a fortune" do you mean a fortune, or do you mean "a relatively modest one-off cost when compared with their annual profits, and when compared with the societal cost of killing and injuring too many vulnerable road users"?
It may be a one off cost, but it will be across their entire fleets. Presumably this cost will then be spread over the lifetime of the vehicles. Large and small companies, right down to owner operators.

Top Bottom