Women drivers - no aggression just plain stupid!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

llanberispass

All hell seems to be letting loose at present after last weeks incident.

Proceeding in primary up towards a central refuge cyclist crusher. Look behind, following car is moving out - no problem she is turning right - oh no shes not she thinks she is going to drive over a) me :ohmy: central refuge. Squeal of brakes as she thought better of it.

Few 100 yards later turn left down a side lane which then sweeps right round a bend. Look over shoulder (spend my whole time going to work doing this) - unbelievable - another woman is starting to overtake me. Put hand out to stop her - she just keeps coming. Surely not she cannot see round the bend! She gets away with it - however 30 seconds down the road a Range Rover is coming the other way.

What is it with these pathetic people? Are they utterly insane?

After 40 years in the saddle it does seem to be getting worse.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
just an ignorant pathetic cow... all for a couple of seconds delay.
She will (probrably) kill someone one day, and of course in her eye's it won't be her fault.

On the other hand I saw a car wait patiently behind a cyclist this morning before pulling round giving plenty of space and a cheery wave. Oh yes it was driven by a woman, whatever that's got to do with it :ohmy: I know, she probably had cheaper insurance because she's less of a risk so therefore was happier .........

simoncc

Dopey women drivers are certainly a problem. So are dopey pensioner drivers and speeding young men drivers. As a cycle commuter my biggest problem remains the fat, affluent middle-aged male driver who either can't handle his high powered car as well as he thinks he can or else is wallowing around all over the road in a large 4x4.

ChrisKH

Guru
I don't think it's gender related. Lots of stupid people out there.

Personally, putting my neck on the line here, I think women are better drivers. Frankly, I'm terrible behind the wheel of a car. It's just as well I'm on a bike.

I wouldn't really say its a gender thing as I've had lots of stupid overtakes and courteous moves from range drivers regardless of their sex. The only thing I've found is that women are more likely to apologise for an error.

Coincidentlally I had a dopey mare overtake me on a blind bend where it was a sweeping downhill right, so I'd be doing 25mph+. There was something comming the other way :ohmy: She did however come back 5mins later to apologise.

jasper

Why did you try to block her from overtaking? If she thought (recklessly) that she could see around the bend and she gave you enough room then you have no right to hinder someone's progress to pass.

J4CKO

jasper said:
Why did you try to block her from overtaking? If she thought (recklessly) that she could see around the bend and she gave you enough room then you have no right to hinder someone's progress to pass.

I never impede anyone for longer than needed, I think its just a case of them being so programmed to make progress at all costs and cant cope with having to wait, even if the actual gain in time is miniscule and will be negated when I pass by when they are sat in traffic.

It irks me when people squeeze past, obviously so intent on getting where they are going and perhaps making a point that I should ride right in the gutter when if they had bought a smaller car there would be more room for both of us, very few people need a massive 4 by 4, I am sure they are very nice but it is ludicrous situation that < 100 kilo person is carting up to 3000 kilos of machinery with them.

jasper

My question was too the llanberispass, although I here what you are saying J4CKO. Have to agree, some people are too eager to pass only to be stuck in traffic as you round the corner.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
jasper said:

So you'd be happy to be riding behind a possible head on collision?

You are not hindering someones progress if you prevent someone overtaking you where it is not safe to do so.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think your view is wrong, Jasper. I think we have every right to own the lane and discourage a poorly judged overtake if it's going to compromise our safety. Of course with that right comes the responsibility of making it easy for drivers to pass us when it is safe to do so. Sometimes that'll mean pulling in and allowing the queue of traffic behind me to pass before continuing on my way again.

J4CKO

The problem is when you take the lane and they see it as some kind of affront to their dignity and overtake anyway like the guy in the Merc did to me in roadworks the other day, avoiding debris, cones and the drop into a hole I rode primary and the prick overtook, hit the kerb, beeped, shook his fist and nearly bounced into me, he got past and then stopped in traffic, I went past and gave him the coffee shaker, little fat daffodil with a tache, oh my he looked worried that I may stop.

Some do seem to be glad you have made their decision for them, saving making a dicey overtake they were not sure about, women are good for this but men are the ones likely to see it as an insult or affront.

jasper

No, I agree that you should hold your riding position.

What I didn't agree with was the fact that he was obstructing her overtake. Too many presumptions on my part but:

She may've been able to see around the bend as she was further out. Also 30 seconds is a long time, country lane, maybe national speed limit so about 1/2 mile. Easily enough time to safely overtake.

Granted she may not have been able to see and the other vehicle may've been just around the bend.....

However, I just re-read the OP and I got it wrong. I thought he said that he was in primary and when she tried to overtake he pulled further out but in reality, just held up a hand so for that I apologise.

Note to self: read fully and digest...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
OK Jasper, sounds like we do after all have the same opinion. J4cko, yes, primary isn't going to prevent the total lunatics who want to overtake in the most dangerous situations, but then primary leaves you the space and time to dive left out of their way, and maintain your own safety.

Top Bottom