Women in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shadowfax

[nothing quite like a riding crop across a bit of male flesh]

On another note I always get him to test the electric fencing to see if its on, (I know it is) it keeps him on his toes !

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
A bit OT, but where are all the car sales places selling women-specific cars? It's very annoying when you're smaller than the average person, because trying to find a car that isn't designed for an average male driver is almost impossible. Just saying.
Are there female specific cars made by any of the major manufacturers?
Same rule would also apply to men who are shorter than the average height.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
for all the piss-taking, there is a serious point here. Some of the patronising in shops thing isn't entirely sexism, as you do get the Not the Nine O'Clock news hi-fi shop thing with any vaguely techie item and a possibly not well informed customer coming in to buy a "gramophone" (grandad).

I'd also opine that the girls are on average rather less interested in pissing contests between record and dura-ace - which seems to figure in us blokes' thinking rather more - we're such shallow creatures after.all. Thus much of what goes in the till is driven by blokes who are kit oriented, and as there's arguably fewer girls in that category, there's less choice in good quality kit for the serious athlete ladies - whilst the serious athlete blokes benefit from the market fuelled by the wannabees.

Some of it might just be economics. Sales people tend to make snap judgements on customers based on stereotypes - my grandmother used to work in a jewellers and nearly blew a high value sale of a top quality gold watch by suggesting to a slightly scruffy customer that they couldn't afford it - a lesson she noted and passed on to me.

Ultimately patronising customers is poor selling, and being sexist to customers is plain rude or worse - but then the money will go into someone else's till.

Perhaps touring bikes are more equally covered with sizing options and types - and tourists of either gender probably know what they want so outfits like Thorn or the bespoke firms whoever are not as likely to patronise their customers.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
My point being that judging how well women are catered for in cycle shops by looking at the number of step-through bikes on sale is not very instructive. The only step-through bikes I see being ridden are being used by old people, who make up a very small percentage of the cycling public. Most women I know would sneer at the idea of riding a step-through.

I take your general point about the way female cyclists are treated as a bit of an afterthought in some places............but I would say that I think enormous strides are being made.

I don't think I'd like to ride a bike in enormous strides, even if it does have a step-through frame.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Cipollini
My wife just happened to look over my shoulder when I was reading this post and saw the naked pic. She would like to suggest that if men's cycling were to be conducted in that manner it might just aid their aerodynamics, but that, of course, would mean they would go past faster - which would, apparently, be a shame. :whistle:

Oh, her experience in our LBS was 'exciting' - she knew what she wanted, and she went in, pointed and said, 'That one, please.'

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Agreed, but I suspect that women are more likely to get the 'customer doesn't really know what's best for them' treatment than men are. I could be wrong...
That's my impression also, and car sales seems to have the same reputation (although I could be wrong there, knowing very little about car salesrooms). It would be nice to have more balance in the staffing of bike shops. I've only ever seen a handful of women working in bike shops, and one female bike mechanic. In fact, women are still far outnumbered by men on bikes on our roads and paths :sad:.

Binka

Über Member
I wouldn't consider a step through, think they look awful.

I can quite happily bike to the pub in a minidress on my drop bar Tricross. ^_^

I couldn't find a touring bike small enough to fit me hence why I bought a Tricross.

Top Bottom